View Single Post
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2012, 12:23 AM
MIssin' the MItten
AKA: Erik Boyle
FRC #0395 (2 Train Robotics), FRC #4640 (Metallic Panthers)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Ekcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Algebra Necessary?

Every high school student has whined (me included), "When will we ever need to use this?" and the answer is usually somewhere, but occluded by the piles of worksheets and textbooks which give no clue to their contents' necessity. If every student got to see math and physics being used at a UL lab or a NASA research center, and get introductory training in those fields, we could have a different story. Of course, that is impractical to do on a national scale, so teachers need to spend less time on problem number X, and more time on lab investigations and projects. Even better would be if they dropped the age-old experiments by minds long gone, and focused on something students can relate to, something making news today. I am fortunate enough to be in a school with a fantastic STEM program that also ties in to our robotics team (our lead mentor is the STEM Technology teacher), but other schools are less lucky.

I've always found math to be rewarding and pushed myself ahead in courses, but I could always see why others with less interest in the subject didn't do the same.

Think about this analogy: Do people buy cars because they love the engineering that went into them and the mechanics that make them work? Maybe you guys do, but most people don't. People learn how to use a car as a tool, and then buy cars because of what they can do for you. Mathematics (and really any school course) needs to be pitched the same way--This is how you can use math, and it will give you a fulfilling career in return. If they like it, they'll figure out the mechanics behind it too.
2012 Championship Newton Division FinalistsóThanks 330 and 639 for the Full Court Press! | 2013 Kettering University District Chairman's Award Winners! | 2014 Great Lakes Bay Region District WinnersóThanks 288, 4819, and 5166! | 2014 Waterford District Chairman's Award Winners! | 2014 Michigan FRC State Championship Chairman's Award WinnersóCongratulations 33 and 503! | 2015 Center Line District Chairman's Award Winners! | 2015 Lansing District WinnersóThanks 314 and 1684! | 2015 FIRST in Michigan District Championship Chairman's Award WinnersóCongratulations 503 and 2137!