View Single Post
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2012, 12:30 AM
FRC #3138 (Innovators Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Michael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Algebra Necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
Then I suspect you're not paying enough attention to both national and international politics.

That's unfortunate, because that's not at all what the article was saying.
I work for the U.S. Government in an area that deals quite a bit with foreign politics. I'd say I'd pay more than enough attention to both national and international politics.

The article is a cry for help because teachers fail to find a way to show how mathematics has practical real-life use, which is tragic because it closes the door to many opportunities for students who have unrealized passion for a technological area. A student may not grasp Algebra completely, but they may later find love for geometry or calculus. I had a similar issue with linear algebra in college. I excelled in differential equations, but some of the concepts in linear algebra can be abstract. But it was just the opposite situation for other students. Some found linear algebra to be a breeze, but struggled with calculus.

This is a direct quote from the article:
Quote:
The toll mathematics takes begins early. To our nationís shame, one in four ninth graders fail to finish high school. In South Carolina, 34 percent fell away in 2008-9, according to national data released last year; for Nevada, it was 45 percent. Most of the educators Iíve talked with cite algebra as the major academic reason.
He wants to take it out to make high school easier. That's the direction he wants to go. It's all about making graduation rates higher. But graduation rates mean absolutely nothing if you learned absolutely nothing.