View Single Post
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2017, 09:46 AM
FRC #5811 (The BONDS)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2010
Peter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant futurePeter Salisbury has a brilliant future
Re: Championship Robot Mechanism Pictures 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusbernstein View Post
Thanks for sharing and its definitely really cool, but to be honest I'm still pretty confused how it actually works. Do you have any documentation on the process for designing it? Maybe a video of a later rev prototype or maybe one of you cad students is like me and makes animations of layout sketches? I'd love to get a better sense of how the mechanism works and your process in designing it.
I've got a theory on how it works, it would be cool if someone from 2767 could check if I got it. Either way, like Marcus, I would be very interested in learning about the process that led from prototypes to this beauty.

From parts of their recap video you can see the first row of "ninja-stars" for balls, and then the next row, right-most in the picture posted by Cory, for gears. The funnel centers the gear and sends it into the surgical tubing roller, which pops the gear off the ground. The row of ninja-stars above the surgical tube continue to advance the gear along. The magic I believe occurs when the servos rotate the black bar up into the path of the gear. When the gear hits the black bar the system knows the exact position of the gear. The servo pivots the bar out of the way, and the far motor uses the integrated VP encoder to precisely slide the gear to the end of the system. Finally, the near motor rotates the metal bracket, where the servos are, and the gear into the upright scoring position. To score, the bracket tilts down and leaves the gear on the peg. At least that's my best guess.

This is such an awesome mechanism, and isn't the only incredible one on this robot. 2767 absolutely deserves all 6 Blue Banners.