View Single Post
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-29-2018, 06:47 PM
FRC #6897 (Astraea Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
risho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to all
Re: Battery Cart Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stratis View Post

It's not clear how you're going to get the batteries in and out - lift them over the chargers? I would recommend finding a more ergonomic way. With our cart, the chargers are mounted directly above the batteries, giving us full access right in the front, with additional storage deeper inside the cart. Batteries can be pulled forward along the smooth shelf right into your hands. This helps reduce the urge to lift the batteries by the cables, something that should never be done. You're going to be accessing the batteries frequently, so make it easy on yourself! Remember, the pits can be cramped, so opening and closing doors can be difficult.
No I plan to have a door in front of the batteries than will open down. Batteries can be lifted up and out pretty easily.

Quote:
For the top, get a butchers block or an old solid-core door and cut it down to size - that's what we did. It's a bit heavy, but extremely durable and can take a beating when you need to do work, I have no problem putting something on it and beating it with a hammer if I need to. Attach it to the top with some door hinges and it'll stay put - you won't even need a latch on it. As a bonus, with something that durable, you can mount a vise to it, which always comes in handy! We also put some gas springs on it - they assist the lift, and when it's fully upright they can hold it up so you can dig around underneath it safely. Also, plan to get under it as infrequently as possible - you'll accumulate a lot of stuff on there, and the last thing you want to do is spend a bunch of time having to clear it off just to open it up.
I thought about making it a workspace but we have a enough workspace, one cart and the table that's provided is enough I would think

Quote:
Make your drill chargers easily accessible - you'll be swapping out drill batteries a fair amount.
Hmmm, what if I mount the chargers on the outside, that would be pretty interesting I think