View Single Post
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Chris Hibner's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Eschewing Obfuscation Since 1990
AKA: Lars Kamen's Roadie
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire (on sabbatical))
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Chris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Here's the problem with the minibot

I agree with all of the points about the end game.

However, I disagree about the necessary cost of development.

Sometime around week 2 Richard posted results of a dynomometer test of the Tetrix motors with the gearboxes removed. Using those test results it took us about 15 minutes of calculations to come up with the correct shaft size. The only motors we smoked were due to bad switch placement.

While I'm sure the above story sounds like "look how smart we are", that's not the point of sharing it. Engineering is about using calculations to come to a solution, and coming to the solution as cheaply as possible.

Message to the students: math and physics save a lot of money!!! Pay attention in school - this is why your teachers are torturing you with this stuff.

Last edited by Chris Hibner : 04-13-2011 at 09:35 PM.