View Single Post
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2012, 06:22 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The missing feature: A common thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fultz View Post
I don't really know what level of teams you are referring to as "elite" but I think you are really over-estimating the number of teams who have access to these machines and simply "get parts made".

If you talk to these "elite" teams I think you will find many of them are using basic manual mills, drill presses, lathes, etc. and making a lot of the parts themselves.
To continue your line of thought it's rarely this easy even if you are getting parts made. We rely quite a bit on sponsors who make us parts and lost well over a week of our schedule when delays started stacking up.

We have access to a CNC mill in our lab and parts don't just pop out of the machine. It is a very involved and time consuming process to manufacture everything.