View Single Post
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2007, 01:10 AM
Post-A-Holic
AKA: Paul Dennis
FRC #1719 (The Umbrella Corp)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2005
aaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant future
Re: "We Are the Champions" and GP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
Hearing "We Are The Champions" after a victory is probably one of my favourite FIRST moments. The song has such historical significance in North American sports, that it's hard not to feel important and celebrated when it plays.
Karthik,

You seem to have missed the fact that other significant parts of North American sports (and, well, almost everywhere else) include: the idea that winning is everything and acting in an unsportsmanlike manner towards your opponents and getting away with it/applauded for it. I would like to think, cheesy as it may sound, that we're all winners at first, and if we all recognized this song as applying to all the teams who built a robot, then really my entire argument collapses. But we all know that that's not the meaning of the song.

I'm glad that you feel recognized when this song plays. However, it's frankly unreasonable for the recognition of winning teams to be more important then (broken record sound) our most important ideals. If recognition has to take a back seat to respecting the entire idea of FIRST, then that's the way it needs to be.