View Single Post
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Another day, gotta give 'em hell
AKA: It's burning straight through the dark...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Traditions/Superstitions

When 2815 went to Peachtree 2011, I got out of the shower on Thursday morning and realized "Crap, I left my deodorant in Columbia!"

Since we were at a reputable hotel, I went to the front desk and asked if they had any. They did...but upon checking, all they had was Lady Speed Stick. The kids were busting me pretty hard that trip, so I took it, snuck into the lobby bathroom, and put it on.

After going through hell and high water in quals, we got picked last there. For the first time in 2815's history (and mine across two other teams too), we won!

Palmetto was the next week, so I didn't even really unpack my bag. We got picked last there, and we won!

The same stick went to St. Louis...okay, so I guess it only works at regionals.

----------------------------

For 2012, I went ought and bought a stick (gel, not solid). We went to Peachtree, and we got picked last AGAIN (three in a row!)...and we were out in quarters. Meh, can't win them all.

We then went to Palmetto...and we didn't get picked at all! But we were the #1 backup, got called in, and we won!

----------------------------

This year, determined to get the two-banner type and not the one-banner type, I went out and found a solid Lady Speed Stick. For the first time in our five-year history, we left without hardware and without playing in eliminations at either regional.

Time for a new superstition.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

117 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.