View Single Post
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2002, 08:58 AM
ChrisH's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generally Useless
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
ChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by sanddrag
I forgot to mention a couple things.

First of all, I think all the threads involved with "the drivetrain story" are GRRREAT. Kudos to Patrick Wang for getting us going on something important. I was even inspired enough to go buy a CAD program.

Anyway, what I really posted for is I was wondering how many robots use treads instead of wheels? Does it give that much more traction? I would personally use them for the coolness factor alone but the pulleys are between $80 and $120 apiece!!! How hard would it be to make our own. Could it be done on manual mills/lathes or would we need CNC.
What CAD program did you get? Also, while an NC machine isn't required to do belt pulleys, it would save time and effort. You could use a thing called a dividing head on a manual mill. It could also be used to make gears.

"Who is John Galt?"