View Single Post
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2018, 01:26 PM
365 --> 4039
AKA: Mattward
FRC #4039 (Makeshift)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
Matt G has a brilliant futureMatt G has a brilliant futureMatt G has a brilliant futureMatt G has a brilliant futureMatt G has a brilliant futureMatt G has a brilliant futureMatt G has a brilliant futureMatt G has a brilliant futureMatt G has a brilliant futureMatt G has a brilliant futureMatt G has a brilliant future
Re: Is it worth it to opt out of the KOP chassis for a low resource team?

As others have said, it's probably a good idea to stick with the KoP.

If you state why you might be interesting in a WCD instead, perhaps some people on CD could give suggestions on how to achieve those goals with the KoPs drive base.

Andymark already provides a plethora of upgrade options, among them:
  • Various wheel types -- Mecanum, Omni, pneumatic, etc.
  • Various mounts and brackets
  • A pre-made superstructure
  • Belt-to-chain conversion kits
  • 3-cim gearbox

There are some other improvements that are a bit harder to find on the AM website but are easy to implement, such as adding encoders to the drive base, changing the gear ratios in the drive gearbox, modifying the dimensions other than the three "default" ratios, etc. etc.

I think it's cheaper, faster, and more reliable to adapt the KoP drivebase to achieve what you want, than to build a custom drivebase. You should be able to get pretty close to any other team's tank-drive style design with just the KoP. For instance, if I wanted 3310's 3 mini-cim omni drive, I could upgrade my KoP drivebase to use omni wheels, swap in a 3 cim gearbox, choose an appropriate gear ratio, and swap the cims for minicims. If you mounted 3310's superstructure to this modified KoPs drivebase, there are few people that would be able to tell the difference between the two from the stands.