View Single Post
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 08:20 PM
Mentor
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Innovation in Control award discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD744 View Post
Also, I'd say you might want to broaden your definition of control. Many servos used in FRC use a purely electrical control system to regulate the position to the desired setpoint. Many toilets use a completely mechanical system to ensure the bowl is refilled to the correct level. There are mechanical and electrical systems definitely deserving of Innovation in Control.
I'd agree. Probably why there won't be a programmer-only award for the robot, it is too hard to separate systems. Things that simplify the driver's job or autonomous programming should be considered, though vanity projects that show some skill are memorable to judges. My view is that being able to perform well and students being able to discuss their control feature with judges in the pit is probably the most important. For our engineering award this year I think having a one-page summary of our unique features probably helped 1) to get students on the same page and 2) as a visual aid. Having it well documented and sharing with the FRC community can't hurt either, and can show the value of the feature. You certainly can do this for a programming achievement, but it does have to be explainable to the judges.

edit: Okay, maybe an autonomous award for programmers, but the pool of non-engineering award (esp. the control award) or non-finalist competing for a purely autonomous award I would think would be a small number of teams.

Last edited by ngreen : 06-07-2018 at 08:25 PM.