View Single Post
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-23-2017, 01:12 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ethernet Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelleyrtp View Post
I actually spent a long time today doing some "robot networking" and realized that because the Rio is linux based, it would automatically register ethernet over usb devices.

I used a cheap $20 Anker usb to ethernet adapter and could see the robot with the driverstation.

Link to anker adapter

This adapter gives you 3 usb ports and and eth port; you could put two in and have 3 free network adapters on your robot. If you're willing to drop the extra cash, you could do 5 free network ports on your robot without a network switch.

Link to two port usb to eth adapter
If this is true (not that I have any reason to doubt you, other than Iím a generally skeptical person), that would be a great discovery to decrease the overhead of using coprocessors and IP cameras. I would be very happy to see if someone could test plugging a coprocessor into a dongle in the roboRIO and see if it shows up on the network.
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi