View Single Post
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Chris Hibner's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Eschewing Obfuscation Since 1990
AKA: Lars Kamen's Roadie
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire (on sabbatical))
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Chris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Detroit District 2011

I want to thank team 217 for not losing faith in us after we had our (mostly self-inflicted) mini-meltdown on Saturday morning. Thankfully disaster was averted in plenty of time. You guys are (obviously) one of the best teams in FIRST, and for good reason.

Mike and Paul: as always, it was great seeing you guys again and even better working with you. The eliminations were fast and furious at times, and the strategy discussions were top notch.

3096: I'm so glad we got to pick you. Mark Kramarczyk and Tito Huffman are two of the best mentors in all of FIRST. It makes me beyond happy to see you and your students get a little reward for all of the effort.

245 and 2832: Mike said it best, so I'm not even going to repeat it.

469 deserves some extra special recognition. I've said it before: I'm a HUGE fan of this team and this competition gave more proof as to why. Last year there were TONS of 469 detractors saying they were lawyering the rules and on the verge of cheating, etc. I defended them constantly as being a team beyond reproach.

At this competition there was some question if their minibot deploy might not be legal. When the concern was brought to their team they were completely caught off guard because didn't even realize it. They were a bit crushed, but they immediately removed it from their robot and played all but their last qualifying match without using a minibot. This put their entire weekend at risk, but they did what they thought they had to do because this team has a very high level of integrity. Even though I knew we may have to face them in the eliminations, I was extremely happy to see their new deployment system send the minibot up the pole for the first time. 469: I love you guys. Seriously.

Lastly, I want to say how proud I am of our drivers and all of our students. You guys did such a great job this weekend. Jorge and Daveonna were great under the pressure, and Malik is one of the best human players in the game. Ben, my controls/programming student is absolutely fantastic - he's only a freshman but he'll be a great engineer one day. All of you engineers should be on the lookout for him once he starts looking for internships.