View Single Post
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Socket Head Screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by risho900 View Post
It's because I'm trying to figure out what screws I need to buy. My team is investing in more hex head tools like ratchet kits so I'm probably gonna by hex head for main use but for things like shaft collars and gearboxes I want to buy socket head but I'm not sure what sizes and lengths for those. Also, adding on, what about set screw sizes and lengths?

It would be a good idea to purchase flat washers to put under the heads of the socket cap screws, especially the larger ones such as #10 and 1/4-20. The surface area of the heads is smaller than for other styles (hex head, pan head or button head). When used to fasten softer materials like aluminum or plastic in higher stress applications, I have seen many instances where the heads start "pulling through" the material. A flat washer will spread the forces over a larger area and minimize this.