Thread: Girls on Teams
View Single Post
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Girls on Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by irigoyennorma View Post
I am really disappointed to hear this,because I believe that females should be leaders in this type field as much as men are; I believe that they should be as "scary" as the guys.
Perhaps in the initial quote regarding being intimidated, it may be partially that and also, it may be hard for members (old and new) to take ownership of their contributions to the team.
After the new members are made to feel welcome and offered opportunities to learn, train, be a part of the team, then it is up to each of them to step up and accept the challenge of being on the team in whatever capacity they are assigned or they choose. By stepping up, they are each taking ownership. Some are timid or just don't 'get it' for a year or so. Those require patience. Some 'get it' right away and are able to work through their shyness and the intimidation factor. That is why it is so important that veteran members, both students and mentors, support the process of building a team.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 01-17-2008 at 09:24 PM.