View Single Post
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Currently dreaming about robots
AKA: Danger Dave
FRC #1687 (Highlander Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
davepowers has much to be proud ofdavepowers has much to be proud ofdavepowers has much to be proud ofdavepowers has much to be proud ofdavepowers has much to be proud ofdavepowers has much to be proud ofdavepowers has much to be proud ofdavepowers has much to be proud of
Re: What's your day job?

Although I'm only a Junior in high school, I work as a precision machinist at Micro Inserts, a machine shop in Southington, CT. I make tool holders for Pratt and Witney, the same tool holders they use to create parts for their jets! I also grind a little carbide on the side, and fix lawnmowers and snowblowers, both with my boss at Micro.

I wouldn't have gotten the job if it wasn't for FIRST. My boss and I actually met because I was friends with his son and invited him down to a GUS meeting, and worked with him making parts for the robot last year! After the build season was over he called me and offered me the job, I didn't even need an interview! This year my boss and I spent countless hours at Micro machining parts for this years robot, an experience I wouldn't have been able to do anywhere else, I love working with the CNC mill, and that gave me an excuse! I love FIRST!

[Edit] I'd also like to point out that I will be attending college in a year an a half and my boss has already agreed that when I come home in the summer I will be able to work for him again! Something that has put me in a really good mindset to have job security like that at a young age! FIRST can open doors for everyone involved in the program, you just have to not be afraid to go look!

-D

1999-xxxx FRC228, GUS Robotics Inc.
2013-xxxx FRC1678, Highlander Robotics

Last edited by davepowers : 04-03-2012 at 10:17 PM.