View Single Post
  #75   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Programmer
FRC #1717 (The D'Penguineers)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2012
jakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud ofjakemochas has much to be proud of
Re: 2012 FRC Team 1717 Uncut

Hi everyone! Our answer to the gear cutting question has been approved and can be seen above at post #65. The post is above because it was posted on the 18th, but it didn’t show up until today. We are working hard to post all of our other answers as well! Thank you for your patience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarr View Post
I had a few questions regarding encoders:

We're working on our drivetrain over the summer. The past two years we have used CAN with our Jaguars, connected to a 2Can, but it has been riddled with problems. So we are switching to PWM which I know you guys use and plugging the encoders into the sidecar. Since each encoder can take 2 I/O ports, how did you manage that-did you fill one up? (if so, did you use more than one sidecar?) How did your sensor arrangement work, did you use many others besides the encoders and the gyro?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions, it is greatly appreciated!
In order to PWM our 14 motor controllers and have enough I/O for the encoders, we did use two digital sidecars. As a result of the new motor allowance this year, it was the first time we used two digital sidecars.

We had many sensors on our robot that were wired to the analog and digital slots of the cRIO. For our swerve drive, we used two types of sensors: we used magnetic encoders on the analog board for wheel orientation and optical encoders for the wheel drive. Also, the gyro was attached to an analog port.

For the shooter, we used a magnetic encoder attached to the analog breakout to detect the platform position. For the hood angle, we used a multi-turn potentiometer on the analog breakout. To detect flywheel speed, we read from a light sensor that was attached to the digital sidecar I/O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarr View Post
One more thing...the swerve modules seem to rotate a lot as you stop and prepare to shoot. Is this part of re-zeroing the gyro for each shot, or some other reason?
The rotation of the wheels when we prepare to shoot is mostly from re-zeroing, but some of the turning is from fine adjustments the driver makes while lining up for the shot.