View Single Post
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Waiting for the storm
FRC #0832
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: start-of-school recruiting help

Make it clear that robotics TEAM is much more than robots. You need artists, writers, video & photo people, etc.

Also make it clear that no experience (or smarts) needed, just a desire to learn cool stuff. When they show up, put a power drill in their hand and have them drill a hole in aluminum.

Here are some things I want to try this year, as we also have a small team:

1. Ask the math, history, business, science and english teachers to sell the team for 5 minutes during class. YOU need to give them what to talk about, but emphasize how the team uses the subject they teach (and those other things like trophies, college apps, scholarship $$, travel, food, fun, etc...)

2. Get a cheerleader to join the team. Put a drill in his or her hands and have them drill a hole. Just ask, it really works. Next thing others will want to join.

3. When people show up, assign someone good to stick to them and have them do stuff: drill holes, pop rivets, cut things... Nothing is worse than a new shy kid showing up and just ignored.

Let us know what works and what doesn't!

*All comments are mine and do not represent my employer*