View Single Post
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2004, 08:43 PM
54... What a good number!
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
dez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dez250
Re: FIRST Competition Entry Fee Increases for 2005

Let me remind or show you all the list of 1997 competitions, maybe it will enlighten you all a little more why the prices were raised...

Yup thats right 3 regionals and 1 championship event. Since then we are at almost 30 regionals and still the single championship event, but on a MUCH LARGER scale... If each regional costed $150,000 to run thats $4.5 million to have the 30 regionals. With say 1000 teams competing at 1 regional (not counting multiple regionals attended) at $4000 each, so a total of $4 million to spend to hold the regionals. Now this also does not cover all the other fees that are spent on the venues, crew, shipping and misc fees, so at best right now, FIRST is about breaking even for the regionals. Also i am not counting the amount it costs for each field and for the kits and innovation first equiptment. Maybe we should all stop complaining that FIRST raised the costs only $1000 for enitial registeration and $1000 for the championship event and start thanking them for all they have done and that they only raised prices 2 grand this year and if i average that over the 5 years it will be since the last raise, that is $400/year, which in my eyes is amazing that it is so small...

I hope this lets some more of you in on why the fees were raised, and oh yeah i forgot to say 95% of the crew you see at events are volunteers and not paid staff, i know this year alone as a volunteer i spent the same if not more then my team spent on our robot...

(Please dont take this as an insult or a bash to anyone, i just wanted to let some of you in more on the basic fees of holding competitions...)

-Michael Dessingue

Last edited by dez250 : 06-01-2004 at 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling