View Single Post
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Terminator
AKA: James Killian
FRC #3481 (Bronc Botz)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2010
JamesTerm is a splendid one to beholdJamesTerm is a splendid one to beholdJamesTerm is a splendid one to beholdJamesTerm is a splendid one to beholdJamesTerm is a splendid one to beholdJamesTerm is a splendid one to beholdJamesTerm is a splendid one to behold
Re: C++ vs. Java (speed considerations only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
This is a far different scenario from the one I had in mind (and quite honestly I'd conjecture that your mail processing system actually processes kB's of metadata rather than GB's of raw data in that amount of time unless it's a JBOD attached to a very expensive Xeon processor...):
Thanks JesseK you saved me from needing to respond. Nice to meet another programmer who works with HD video. (looking forward to supporting 1080p 60 someday).

For now... I just wanted to make sure Drakesword's benchmark fits in the "Any language can do simple tasks like data transfer with simple logic instructions" category. I want to keep a close eye on c# and java trends as I don't want to fall victim to a programmer who is behind the times. I tend to think of JAVA and C# as the 4th generation language... somewhere in between C and Scripting (e.g. 5th?).... where the further out you are the less direct control you have to the CPU. Visual Studio is really 2.5 with the intrinsics and inline assembly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program...ge_generations