View Single Post
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2011, 01:01 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LabVIEW Update, Utilities Update, Driver Station Update...which to install and wh

It's unfortunate that FIRST did not provide the documentation for beta teams to review. Let me see if I can answer your questions based on my own experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forgaard View Post
So, here are our questions about how to upgrade our Classmate PC from FRC 2010 to FRC 2011:

1. In the "Update the Classmate Software" step above, shouldn't we run the new 2011 Driver Station Update rather than the old 2010 Driver Station Update?
Yes

Quote:
2. There is another thread here on Chief Delphi that points out that the LabVIEW runtime environment in indeed installed on the Classmate PC. (Which makes sense, because the default Dashboard software that ran on the Classmate PC -- at least in 2010 -- was written in LabVIEW.) So, since the Classmate PC contains the LabVIEW runtime environment, should we also run the 2011 LabVIEW Update and 2011 Utilities Update on the Classmate PC? If so, as explained on each of the above NI pages, we should install those two updates before installing the 2011 Driver Station Update.
The Classmate had to be imaged and distributed before the final software was done, thus even though the classmate has all the required software components, they all need to be updated.

Quote:
For our programming workstation PCs, we are programming in Wind River C++ (not LabVIEW). As such, per the instructions on the National Instruments LabVIEW installation DVD in the Kit of Parts, we followed the instructions to "Install only the FRC Tools" from that disc. When we do this, a LOT of National Instruments software still gets installed on the workstation. So, we are still wondering:

3. On our programming workstation PCs, should we install the 2011 LabVIEW Update?
The goal of separating the FRC utilities was so that teams that did not use LabVIEW did not have to install the LabVIEW update. However, this was done partway through the beta period so I doubt it got tested on a clean system. Personally, I would install all 3 updates on the classmate, but only the minimum on the programming PCs, but that depends on adventuresome you are.

4. Similarly, on our programming PCs, should we install the 2011 Utilities Update? It would seem we should, because (among other things) this includes the updated cRIO Imaging Utility, which we usually run from one of our programming PCs.[/quote]

Yes

Quote:
Sorry for the long post. I wanted to try and explain everything clearly. If anyone has some help for us, that would be great. Thanks for your help!
I hope you'll apply to be a beta tester next year, as detail oriented people are very much needed.