View Single Post
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 10:42 AM
RoboDox and LVHS - Missing you!
FRC #5941
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
indieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You Cannot Graciously Accept

Steve,

While I have just learned something new about how the word "gracious" is currently used, I have to remind you that the English language is constantly evolving. One only needs to look at almost any definition in the OED to understand this.

As an example, the word "radical" was used as a scientific or mathematical term. During the 1980s, the word became a slang term and received a new definition to add to the previous ones.

If I had to worry about the proper use of English terms, I would focus on "me vs. I" and "good vs. well". I'll never forget the day before I graduated with an English degree. I was walking back to the dorm from my car and two students were walking away from the dorm. I overheard one of the students say "Chancellor X did a well job of recruiting students for next year." I instantaneously cringed.

The other thing I would worry about is the overall writing ability of the students. The internet has significantly impacted how things are now written.

Worrying about giving a new meaning or way of being used isn't such a bad thing in the grand scheme of things.

indieFan