View Single Post
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2006, 10:47 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute
Re: This is why you're going into technical careers!

when I worked at Rockwell Collins in Cedar Rapids Iowa there were 4 engineers who had a garage rock band.

They played mostly for fun, very seldom played before an audience. They got a gig at the University of Iowa for freshman day, when new students come to see the campus with their parents.

They were playing in the corner of the student cafeteria. One of my friends went along to help out (be their roadie). At one point while they were playing almost no one was paying attention. Some new student and his mom sat down at a table with their lunch, and my friend overheard their conversation:

[Mom] Im so proud of you, going to college, making something of yourself -so you dont end up like those bunch of losers over there! Look at them, they look like a bunch of bums!

my friend almost died laughing. That lady did not realize those 4 guys were probabally the highest paid 'musicians' in the state (their engineering pay).

I guess the moral of the story is: do what you love, the money will follow (but it doesnt hurt to make enough money to also do things that you could never earn a living at, like being a weekend rockstar once a year :^)