Thread: Vision on a Pi
View Single Post
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2018, 06:25 PM
AKA: Solomon
FRC #2898 (Flying Hedgehogs)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
solomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant future
Re: Vision on a Pi

I don't agree with the lack of horsepower thing. Pis are more than fast enough to run your standard FRC OpenCV vision stack, especially if you downscale the image to something like 320x240, which is frankly all you need.

The Jetsons are nice, but they can be difficult to set up and power on the robot. As well, the CUDA capability is generally unnecessary for the vision tasks found in FRC, and is pretty difficult to utilize in code, especially if you're less familiar with C++.

+1 on GRIP, it's a very nice tool.

Lifecam 3k is always a good bet, some teams like things like the Logitech C920 or C310. I'm a fan of the ELP USB cameras, myself.

The JeVois camera is worth looking at for sure. It provides an integrated package of a low power linux computer and a camera. You have to do serial communication, which isn't as easy as networktables, but it's a great and compact piece of hardware.

At least in my - probably controversial - opinion (and as someone who's done a _lot_ of vision stuff), vision isn't too important in FRC, it seems. It was near necessary for the 2017 boiler, and nice to have in 2016, but other than that it's far from essential. While it's a great goal to work towards, I wouldn't sweat it if you need to prioritize something like motion profiling or getting control loops running instead of a vision stack.

However, for sure see if you can figure out your competition camera issue. Driver cameras are very useful. What were the sort of issues? Did you use a USB webcam or an Axis IP cam or something else?