Thread: Vision on a Pi
View Single Post
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-09-2018, 08:25 PM
FRC #1533 (Triple Strange)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2014
wgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to behold
Re: Vision on a Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomondg View Post
At least in my - probably controversial - opinion (and as someone who's done a _lot_ of vision stuff), vision isn't too important in FRC, it seems. It was near necessary for the 2017 boiler, and nice to have in 2016, but other than that it's far from essential. While it's a great goal to work towards, I wouldn't sweat it if you need to prioritize something like motion profiling or getting control loops running instead of a vision stack.
I agree.

I was actually surprised that this year's game had so few tasks that could be done better with vision. After 2016 and 2017, and with the way the FTC game has placed increasing emphasis on vision and Vuforia, I was expecting this year to take things up another notch in terms of vision related tasks being a part of higher level game play. I saw a few teams use vision well this year, but few gained any real advantage from it.

Having said that, I still feel that vision will be a good tool to have in your toolkit of skills. It may not be the most basic tool and if you have not mastered the more basic stuff, you should not distract your efforts with vision, but it is probably something you want to have as part of your long term to-do list. I expect we will see games that have vision elements in the future.

But, more than that, I think it is a great programming challenge for students. It involves both a highly technical sub-task of processing the image and extracting key information, but also involves integration with the rest of the robot programming and the overall strategy (what information do you need to extract from the image and what is the robot going to do with that information?). If the programmers in your group have the desire to give it a try, especially during the off-season, I say, go for it.