View Single Post
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Sigley View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.
You could have said it right... FIRST isn't about teaching, it's about inspiration. Inspiration can come from education but it can also come without it. I don't need to teach my students how to build a hardware PID controller. Only show them what it can do so they can become curious and want to learn how to do it. Some mentors/teams/students are inspired through education, others aren't or can't.

To me, if all a student learns in a given season is "I don't really like writing code" I consider it a success, the student was inspired to find what they are passionate about. That's my job here.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Our job is to make the horse thirsty.