Thread: Saving Seats
View Single Post
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Saving Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebrooks
I can ignore your continued effort to produce conflict... You have clearly missed the point of my post...
I was never the intent of Jeff or the other 188/1114 mentors & students to cause a conflict. Here's exactly what happened. Some 1114/188 scouts went to the front row of the Curie stands to grab seats for scouting. Obviously they wanted the seats with best field of view. These teams were being saved by another team. Since the rules specifically disallow the saving of seats, they sat down in them. Initially, nothing was said. Then 3 additional 1114 members came to sit down with their teammates. Then the mentors form the seat saving team came and began yelling at the 1114 members. The 1114 members calmly explained that the saving of seats was illegal. The team in question said "it doesn't matter, everyone else does it." They then proceed to lambaste these mentors and students in rather rude fashion.

You can claim that they were looking for conflict, but these individuals were just standing up (or sitting ) for their rights. Too often teams are allowed to save seats because no one lets them know it's wrong. Some teams are even shocked to discover that it's not permitted, and graciously free up the seats once they see the rule.

Yes, we should not seek conflict, but at the same time we cannot turn a blind eye upon those who break the rules.

As for Jeffrey's comment about the disdain for his age group, there were comments directed at the 1114/188 college mentors during this fracas which illustrated this disdain. I don't believe Jeff's comment was directed at you.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success