View Single Post
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Meltdown and Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sharp View Post
The big question to me is what are the costs of the patch going to be in terms of speed/performance of the chips.
That's a very good question, and one that is going through wild speculation so far. I've seen reports that say it could be 30%, and I've seen reports that say it's not noticeable except in very specific, seldom used edge cases. I expect the truth lies somewhere in the middle - It's not going to be huge, and on the average consumer computer won't be a big deal. But when you look at things like server farms with thousands of machines, even a hit of 1% can be significant. It'll have a bigger affect on widespread Cloud-based applications than anything else.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA