Go to Post WATER GAME! Always a water game... - kendra21093 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2011, 09:07 AM
AKA: Genevieve
FRC #0233 (The Pink Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Cheerleader1073 is a jewel in the roughCheerleader1073 is a jewel in the roughCheerleader1073 is a jewel in the rough
A World of FIRST Day 2011!

Hey Everyone

No matter how you're involved with FIRST, wear your shirt at some point on Wednesday, September 14th, so we can take the world by storm. FIRST logos should be everywhere... I want to see multiple numbers strolling around streets and stores, and high-fiving each other when they see each other . Let's make it so that people who aren't involved with FIRST ask questions after seeing the logo and name all day. Spread the word! Invite everyone you know from FIRST! This is in September in the middle of the week because everyone's back in school to show off their colors! Have work? Wear it before/after! Or just wear it to bed to still get in the spirit of it.

If you have Facebook, you can get the details, sign up as "Attending", and help a lot by spreading the word to get even more people to join in! Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=206714226032784

INVITE EVERYONE YOU KNOW IN FIRST! FRC, FTC, FLL, Jr. FLL, volunteers, staff, sponsors who might have a shirt, everyone! Share this on all your social media sites and let's get this thing going!

Heard about FIRST Friday 2012?
www.worldfirstfriday.wordpress.com
http://www.facebook.com/worldfirstfriday

@lifebycountry on Twitter

FRC Student: 2007-2011
FLL/JFLL Mentor: 2008-2011
Volunteer (Mixed): 2007-Present
FRC Mentor: 2011-Present

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Boiler Strong.
AKA: Ben Carson
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
Duke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond reputeDuke461 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A World of FIRST Day 2011!

Great idea! I just invited all the robotics people i know on facebook

The opposite of excellence is good enough.
2012-2013 President; 2011-2012 Vice President
2011-offseason FRC Student Drive Coach; 2010-11, 2011-2012 VEX Drive Coach
2011, 2010-offseason FRC Driver/Operator
2012, 2011-offseason, 2010-offseason FRC Human Player
Find me on: Facebook, Gmail, Twitter, Tumblr, Blogger/Blogspot
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2011, 10:53 AM
AKA: Matthew Simpson
no team

chessking132 is a glorious beacon of lightchessking132 is a glorious beacon of lightchessking132 is a glorious beacon of lightchessking132 is a glorious beacon of lightchessking132 is a glorious beacon of lightchessking132 is a glorious beacon of light

Great Idea, some FIRST people i talk say that they wont wear their robotics stuff out side of robotics for fear of being labeled a geek. But this event will show the world that being excited about science/engineering is just as cool as sports.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2011, 11:10 AM

Cheerleader1073 is a jewel in the roughCheerleader1073 is a jewel in the roughCheerleader1073 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessking132 View Post
Great Idea, some FIRST people i talk say that they wont wear their robotics stuff out side of robotics for fear of being labeled a geek. But this event will show the world that being excited about science/engineering is just as cool as sports.
Awesome! Our team is very large (this year about 65 students and 35 mentors) so there's never a school day where at least one person isn't wearing their team shirt. I'm not sure what type of team you're from (for example, we're associated with our public high school made up of two small towns in NH) but I think what makes our members so proud to be a part of the team and wear team shirts all the time is because we make sure to get kids together to volunteer at local events (Old Home Days, our town's Strawberry Festival, anything put on by the Rotary, that kind of stuff) - not just the big-name events and definitely not just events having to to with science and technology, so in return we gain the entire community's support and everyone in the two towns that make up our high school district has at least heard of the FIRST team. I'm not sure if this is something you already do, but I think it really helps. Also, whenever we have a competition coming up we have a small message read in the morning announcements at school before the event and after the event saying how we did or what awards we won. Both the students and staff at our school know who we are and ask us how we're doing and respect us, I think it's because of the little local things rather than the big ones. Might take a couple years, we definitely weren't as genuinely spirited just a few years ago . I hope that helps!

Thanks,
Gen

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2011, 02:39 PM
AKA: Matthew Simpson
no team

chessking132 is a glorious beacon of lightchessking132 is a glorious beacon of lightchessking132 is a glorious beacon of lightchessking132 is a glorious beacon of lightchessking132 is a glorious beacon of lightchessking132 is a glorious beacon of light

I am a college student and am not currently associated with any team. But both teams that i have worked with did not have a problem with showing their spirit in public. My comment above stems from talking with other teams at events and in other public setting where FIRST is brought up. This event is a great opportunity for teams to take your suggestions above and relay show what FIRST has to offer. I know i would not be an Engineering student with out FIRST.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2011, 04:09 PM
FRC #2637 (Panthers)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
dudefise is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: A World of FIRST Day 2011!

This is a great idea... we should have one every year! I will definitely participate.
2013 FRC 2637 - Build Captain - Inland Empire Quarterfinalists with 3925 and 207
2014 FRC 2637 - College Mentor - Central Valley Quarterfinalists with 2085 and 5136 / LA Regional Semifinalists with 696 and 5102
2015 FRC 2637 - Lazy Schmuck - Couch Sitting Quarterfinalist
2016 FRC 2637 - College Mentor - SD Regional Finalist with 1572 and 2443, Excellence in Engineering, Wildcard
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2011, 04:18 PM
AKA: Andrew Remmers
no team

Andrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Remmers

I actually do this much more than I realize it Teams shirts are always fun to wear and people like to question what its about! I always enjoy talking about FIRST!

- Andrew

Built and Dangerous (B.A.D) 2011-2012

Community Mentor / School Break 2012-2014

North American Robotics: The MooseEagles Founding Member 2012-Present (VEX U)

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride_67_1902 View Post
I actually do this much more than I realize it Teams shirts are always fun to wear and people like to question what its about! I always enjoy talking about FIRST!

- Andrew
Yep, I know how that is lol. Hey... Exploding Bacon! I'm from New Hampshire but I'll be starting at FIT in Melbourne in the fall, hopefully mentoring a local team (looking at 233 right now) but if not my freshman year then I'll at the very least be volunteering at the Orlando Regional .

-Gen

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2011, 05:40 PM
AKA: Andrew Remmers
no team

Andrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Remmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerleader1073 View Post
Yep, I know how that is lol. Hey... Exploding Bacon! I'm from New Hampshire but I'll be starting at FIT in Melbourne in the fall, hopefully mentoring a local team (looking at 233 right now) but if not my freshman year then I'll at the very least be volunteering at the Orlando Regional .

-Gen
Sounds like good fun! 233 is a lot of fun to talk to, and I'm sure they are a BLAST to work with! Also have fun at FIT! But if all else fails for mentorship (sure it won't) Bacon is always accepting new members!

Anyway I have to get some CADding done for a Job Interview on Monday!

- Andrew

Built and Dangerous (B.A.D) 2011-2012

Community Mentor / School Break 2012-2014

North American Robotics: The MooseEagles Founding Member 2012-Present (VEX U)

Last edited by Andrew Remmers : 06-11-2011 at 05:43 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2011, 09:45 PM
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
Alex.q is on a distinguished road

So I just had this thought: we don't have the FIRST logo on our shirts. Is this a problem. (Obviously, I mean in a wider context than this event.) How important would you consider displaying the FIRST logo on your team shirt? Does your team shirt have the logo, and if so, how big is it?
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2011, 09:52 PM
AKA: Brendan Browne
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.q View Post
So I just had this thought: we don't have the FIRST logo on our shirts. Is this a problem. (Obviously, I mean in a wider context than this event.) How important would you consider displaying the FIRST logo on your team shirt? Does your team shirt have the logo, and if so, how big is it?
Our team does have the logo on our shirts which for some seems like an oxymoron when at competition but when wearing it during the day, at demos, and other events it is a great way to get the word out. I have a FIRST pin that I wear on my work uniform and I have gotten a lot of comments from: my child was in their program, I know someone who works their, I saw them in the newspaper, etc.

I attend world of FIRST day all day errday with how many shirts, sweatshirts, and jackets I have!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I don't think this is a problem, in the simple case of making team shirts it's really what each team wants. I mentored an FLL team this year that got really simple shirts using only one color that we screen printed in a mentor's basement using our own printouts lol so we couldn't even do the FIRST logo well in one color (black) and it wouldn't have come out that well when we printed it out. On 1073's team shirts, yes, we do have the logo. We have it twice on the back across from each other towards the middle (top to bottom) on both sides of our list of sponsors (if that makes sense when I type it) and they're relatively small - no more than two inches tall.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2011, 10:00 PM
It will be up to the LRI...
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not at all, if I understand this event it is to start the conversation. I can't tell you how many conversations my 33 hat sparked over the last term at Kettering and it doesn't have the FIRST logo on it.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2011, 02:57 AM
Everyone. Everywhere.
FRC #3132 (Thunder Down Under)

Rookie Year: 2004
Phoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond reputePhoenix Spud has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the FLL bog, I posted about "A World of FIRST Day 2011" there!

http://fllblog.wordpress.com/
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Hey Everyone!

It's pretty stellar to see how big this is getting after a day! We now have a blog that will function as the day's website at worldfirstday.wordpress.com. Comment and share away so we can generate some more buzz! Updates will be coming soon on that site for a Flickr account where people can upload photos of certainly wearing their FIRST stuff around that day, but there will be more opportunities to add photos as well, such as taking pictures wearing FIRST shirts in different places .

Thanks everyone for spreading the word!

-Gen

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: