OCCRA
Go to Post 1, plz help, want to watch the matches, am looking at the inside of an airship instead. - Jared Russell [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:55 PM
no team (Synergy)

Rookie Year: 2001
Dick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dick Linn
Re: How did you findout about/became involved with in FIRST?

My older son found out about FIRST from his guidance counselor in his junior year. She thought he would like it. He had to join Team 346 which was 20 miles away. The next year, the 2002 season, he co-founded Team 975 at his school.

I got involved because I'm the Dad with the car. I helped a bit on Team 346 and then became a mentor for Team 975 for 5 years. My younger son was in it the whole time, ever since middle school, as was the younger brother of the other co-founder. Interestingly, the two of them became the lead drivers for the last couple years. Not to mention doing the programming and electrical work. Pays to start young, eh?

Proud father of Marine LCpl. Karl R. Linn
Co-founder Team 975
KIA, Iraq 1/26/2005
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Steel is love. Steel is life.
AKA: Kara Bakowski
FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou

I found out about our team in 8th grade, when I became best friends with a girl who had a brother on the team at the time. She had gone to some of their meetings and had a team shirt. I don't know why, but I thought that that shirt was the coolest thing since sliced bread. So at the beginning of our freshman year, after she assured me that there were things to do with the team that didn't involve building the robot (I didn't think I was experienced enough), I went to the introductory meeting and signed up.

All I really remember about the first few months of that fall was that the meetings were extremely boring (learning about the difference between programming loops really sucks when you neither know nor care about programming). I didn't go down into the shop until the second-to-last work session of the year, and I only went because one of the mentors commented on the lack of girls in the shop and I didn't have much to lose by going. Somehow, I managed to be totally hooked by the time kickoff came around, and I have been ever since.

Now that I think about it, if I had been able to go to the off-seasons that first fall, I probably would have been hooked sooner, but that's all in the past now
FRC 341 (2016-present): Mechanical/build mentor
Volunteer (2010-present): Ramp Riot '17, Brunswick Eruption '17, MAR Seneca '17, FTC Hat Tricks Qualifier '16, Brunswick Eruption '16, MAR Montgomery '16, MAR Westtown '16 Portcullis Victim, MAR Springside-Chestnut Hill '16, Ramp Riot '15 '16, FiM Escanaba District '14 '15, MidKnight Mayhem '13 '15 '16 '17, FiM Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, FiM Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...

WMWBS '10 '11
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2012, 06:20 PM
no team (Synergy)

Dick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dick Linn

Of our two team founders and their two little brothers, three went on to engineering school (one on a FIRST scholarship) and one became a machinist. Unfortunately, my elder son's studies at VCU were interrupted by a stint in Iraq, where he was killed in action.

Proud father of Marine LCpl. Karl R. Linn
Co-founder Team 975
KIA, Iraq 1/26/2005
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Down at the railroad
AKA: Jason Hartmann
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 1999
Jay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

When I graduated high school in 1995 I still kept in touch with one of the tech ed teachers there. In the early summer of 1998 (June?) he mentioned he was going to start a team at the school to compete in the 1999 season and if I had any interest in helping the team and get it off the ground. Hence I became one of Team 237's original founding members. 237's first meeting was in Sept 1998 shortly after the school year started, I think something like 30 students turned up and a dozen parents along with others like me who had some type of specialty background to help the team and mentor. I think the new team met once a week until build started, we did lose a few people but still had 22 students or so once build was underway. Little did we know what we were getting into designing a robot to pick up floppies and tow the puck around.

I am one of the few that have been with 237 since the beginning. there were 2 years my involvement was very limited due to work and other outside commitments but have always been part of the team and even made a few meetings during those years. In late 1999 I got a job at a robotics company (injection molding) due to being involved with FIRST. I am still there today.

Jason Hartmann,

Team 237, Sie-H2O-Bots (Black Magic 1999, Sun Seekers 2000, Tribe 2001-2011, and back to Black Magic again, 2012)
2005 WINNERS of the Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award (not once, but twice! )
2004 WINNERS ------ Johnson & Johnson Mid-Atlantic Regional (also thanks to our alliances 56 & 303)
2004 General Motors Industrial Design Award Winners
2004 Archimedes Quarterfinalists (also thanks to our alliances 121 & 386)

NEMO _________ NonEngineering Mentor Organization
"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot!" - author unknown
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Impromptu Teenage-Maternal Figure
AKA: Autumn
FRC #0997 (Spartan Robotics)

NoQuestions is on a distinguished road

I first heard about FIRST in middle school. Well, kind of. I knew that my middle school had a LEGO Robotics team, and I knew it was connected to the science club (which I was in), but I didn't really like the guys on the team. So even though I was interested, I decided not to try it.

Then high school came around. My school was reviving their FIRST team after a three or four year hiatus, and the school's electronics/woods teacher was trying to rally up enthusiasm for it in her classes. She hadn't been involved before, but she was really excited about the idea. I wasn't in an electronics class at the time, but my best friend was. He wanted to go to a meeting. So even though I wasn't too sure of my ability to fit in or contribute (I wasn't engineering minded in particular, I liked art and other such frilly things), I made a deal with him that I'd go to a robotics meeting if he went to a drama meeting.

I didn't like robotics very much at first. It was filled with a bunch of people that were kind of jerks (All of them dropped off the face of the earth when they learned that FRC wasn't like Battlebots and that it involved doing some work), but I stuck with it because I ended up making a bunch of promises to organize stuff. I ended up becoming the president by the end of my freshman year because I was the person who just organized stuff and made sure everyone was 'in the loop'.

Competition eventually started, and after that I was hooked. Turns out I was totally wrong about not fitting in, in time the team became pretty much my family. I've changed teams around a bit in the past four or five years, but I still love FIRST and the environment surrounding it.

Oh, and theater? Totally not a thing I'm involved with anymore. Turns out my best friend kind of won that deal, oops.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:00 PM
The scariest person in FIRST
AKA: Aviana Knochel, a.k.a. WIG GIRL
FRC #0118 (The Robonauts)
Team Role: Alumni

Astrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond repute
Back when I was in fourth grade, which was the 2002/2003 school year, I was a big lego fan and my science teacher told me that there was a team involving legos that I could join. Mom let me, and I discovered how cool robotics was. I signed up for the middle school BEST team and got in in 6th grade, and in 7th grade I formally met the Robonauts. I had met various Robonauts before when they mentored and volunteered, but I didn't realize they were high schoolers. First chance I got I signed up for the FRC team, and the rest is history. My little brother followed me through the ranks, and my best friend to this day is the driver I spotted for back in BEST (she didn't even know my name until midway through the 7th grade season, apparently I was just "that little blond kid with the jigsaw" ). My mom is the Team Mom, and will remain the Team Mom even though both her kids are graduated from the team. It's kind of magical how I went from legos to replacing most of the iron in my blood with aluminum, and all thanks to my elementary school science teacher.
Me: * facepalm *
-----------------

Last edited by Astrokid248 : 06-08-2012 at 12:49 PM.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:49 AM
No capes
AKA: Olivia Gifford
FRC #1094 (The Channel Cats)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2011
OliviaG is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to OliviaG

My two friends were in FRC team 1094, so they invited me to the 2010 regional competition, so I came and I watched a few matches and I wasn't really interested, I thought it was kind of boring. so a few weeks later they invited me to their Team open house, I went and I got to drive the robots and I thought that was just awesome, then After that I decided to join the team, and once I got in I was HOOKED!! And Since then Its gave me allot of choices for the future.
"Not everyone has the chance to do great things - to learn how to build a robot while working alongside some of the greatest mentors you will ever meet, to become one with your team, and learn to be a gracious professional while competing with exceptional teams. It's not every day you meet people who want to change the world. Being inspired, learning, creating, thinking, and doing things to shape the future. THIS IS FIRST." -Me
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:44 PM
The_C
no team

Carolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the rough

I learnd about FIRST over time and had to put the pieces together. I had Seen team 122 at the state fair doing an exhibition event in the technology building and my mom walked off and left me because she knew that once I found something I was interested in, she wasn't going to move me until I was ready. I'm not a math person at all, nor am I one for much that revolves around school work. I am, however, a bit handy and a bit mechanically inclined. Really I just grab tools and make stuff that works, I always have. Then one day I was at school typing a paper for some class I was taking. Our teacher sent the whole class to the computer lab to complete the assignment. There was a mindstorms kit on the table in the middle of the room and there was no way I was concentrating on typing with that around... My family still jokes that I was born with Legos in my hands... I had never gotten along well with the computer lab monitor so I didn't say much but I stared and willed them to be my Legos haha! I saw a paper taped on the wall one day talking about a robotics club and meeting so I told my mom I was going and she ignored me. When I got there after school there were 5 students- 2 senior girls, 1 senior guy and 2 freshman guys. We were out numbered by mentors! 2 college students joined, 1 school teacher, and 4 NASA engineers (who all disagreed on everything). I got there a few minutes late and when I walked in I was the jock so everyone stared, when I said "Is this where I get to play with Legos?" I was hooked and gave up playing soccer my senior year. We created team 495 and managed to go to the VCU regional and nationals at EPCOT in 2001.
That's when I met Lavery, and introduced him to water hehehe. I've held many titles, been a part of several teams, and acted in many different capacities which you could never make me regret. I learned a lot about myself and the world around me from FIRST. I have most lovingly been referred to as the "what if" chick and have gotten late night phone calls asking for help. I'm just goo at spotting potential problems or design flaws even if I can't explain them. I have been all over the country for FIRST and have missed it dearly. I'll be back very soon with the next generation.

Thats C like the letter not like looking through your eyes or the large bdy of water! Just the letter C and yes it's on my birth certificate!
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Kelly Yu
FRC #0201
Team Role: Animator

Rookie Year: 2009
Euriiko is a jewel in the roughEuriiko is a jewel in the roughEuriiko is a jewel in the rough

I found out about FIRST the first week of freshman year in high school. It came to me in the form of a flyer hanging on the walls, encouraging students to apply for the Robotics team. This intrigued me, so I resolved to apply. I was accepted, and I have to admit, being a part of Robotics has has led to some of the most rewarding experiences of my high school years.

I'm about to finish off junior year, and am anticipating my last year of Robotics to be the best! while at the same time sad that it is my last year to be part of it as a student. I hope to become involved as either a mentor or volunteer in the future though!
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:08 AM
TSIMFD
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Some guy with bad shirts and silly hair dragged me to a team meeting.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:50 PM
#StickToTheStratisQuo
AKA: Gregor Browning
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute

I joined the "Robotics Club" in grade 8, which turned out to be an FLL team. I was hooked since our first event. I go to a high school that doesn't have an FRC team, but I still keep in contact with my old FLL coach, and he emailed me one day to go check out a workshop 907 was putting on. That was the last week of December before the winter break. I had no idea what I was getting into, and was late joining the team because most had come to meetings since the start of the school year. 40 hours a (build/competition season) week later, I'm still here and not going anywhere.
FLL 2011-2015 Glen Ames Robotics-Student, Mentor
FRC 2012-2013 Team 907-Scouting Lead, Strategy Lead, Human Player, Driver
FRC 2014-2015 Team 1310-Mechanical, Electrical, Drive Captain
FRC 2011-xxxx Volunteer
How I came to be a FIRSTer
<Since 2011
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2012, 05:58 AM
...and you can't! teach! that!
FRC #5402 (Iron Kings); no team (AndyMark)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a flyer for 1293's first meeting and thought FIRST was, well, the thing before second. Not sure if we were talking Legos or Battlebots or what, I drove to the school for the meeting.

It's been all downhill since.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017-: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach

104 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 14 seasons, over 69,000 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Custom User Title
AKA: Cal
FRC #4183 (Bit Buckets)

Rookie Year: 2012
z_beeblebrox has a reputation beyond reputez_beeblebrox has a reputation beyond reputez_beeblebrox has a reputation beyond reputez_beeblebrox has a reputation beyond reputez_beeblebrox has a reputation beyond reputez_beeblebrox has a reputation beyond reputez_beeblebrox has a reputation beyond reputez_beeblebrox has a reputation beyond reputez_beeblebrox has a reputation beyond reputez_beeblebrox has a reputation beyond reputez_beeblebrox has a reputation beyond repute

At my school, there is an afternoon at the beginning of the year where all the clubs set up tables and try to recruit members. The new robotics club had a table and I learned about what FRC was and came to one of the first meetings. Since then, I have developed an addiction.
2015 Arizona East Regional Creativity Award, Winner
2016 Arizona North Regional Finalist, Arizona West Excellence in Engineering Award, Finalist
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2012, 04:27 PM
forgot the heat shrink...
FRC #2399 (The Fighting Unicorns)

Rookie Year: 2011
gracie. is an unknown quantity at this point

My oldest sister was one of the founding members of our team (we started back in 2008). So essentially since I was in the 6th grade I had been hearing about robotics. Starting around '09 I would visit at a meeting or two during the year with my little sister - usually 'epic weekend', our school's 3-day winter weekend that's always the weekend before ship... er... bag; famous for deliriously tired/hilarious moments - and I went to the Buckeye Regional every year. Then my other older sister joined, too. By the time I was a freshman, I knew pretty much everyone on the team, and after years of hearing about it/seeing it, I was excited to be part of it myself.

And then my team almost didn't exist my freshman year. But we survived! And I'm really glad we did!!
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Build bridges not walls.
AKA: Carolyn Beyer
FRC #1024

Rookie Year: 2003
Carolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond repute

I played softball every season from when I was five years old until the end of my Junior year of high school, when I realized that it wasn't fun any more, due to an emphasis on "Winning is what matters the most." So, I looked for a new hobby, and a friend suggested I check out the robotics team (this was the year after the Killer Bees were finalists at Disney World, and I didn't even know we had a team!). So, I applied, was interviewed by 33's founding-mentors Pam Williamson and Tim Grogan, and joined the team my senior year of high school. ...this will be my 10th year involved with FIRST. Feels like I just started yesterday.
"It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be." -Isaac Asimov

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: