Go to Post It's definitely possible to get very near to 100% prediction accuracy with machine learning. All you have to do is use a network at least as large as your data set and neglect to keep your training and testing data separate. - Caleb Sykes [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 10:23 AM
AKA: Kavin Phan
FRC #6750 (Pack Attack)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2017
TLHPoE is an unknown quantity at this point
Theoretical Method For Tank Rotation

Our robot's chassis has 3 wheels on each side in a basic tank configuration (minus the treads). I'm trying to find the number of rotations the wheels would have to move to rotate the entire robot a certain angle, assuming both sides spin opposite of each other to do so. I know I could just count the rotations using an encoder by starting the counter and then rotate the robot manually, but I'm asking if there is a way to look for the number using math instead of trials.

I'm sure there's a simple method to my problem, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Theoretical Method For Tank Rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHPoE View Post
Our robot's chassis has 3 wheels on each side in a basic tank configuration (minus the treads). I'm trying to find the number of rotations the wheels would have to move to rotate the entire robot a certain angle, assuming both sides spin opposite of each other to do so. I know I could just count the rotations using an encoder by starting the counter and then rotate the robot manually, but I'm asking if there is a way to look for the number using math instead of trials.

I'm sure there's a simple method to my problem, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it.
Each wheel is moving in an arc centered along your chassis rotational axis (affected by wheel type, weight distribution, and wheel location). You just need to calculate the arc length each wheel will move.

My guess is:
r=1/2*track
Θ=90

assuming your turning center is located midway between your center wheels.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 10:29 AM
AKA: Jordan
FRC #2708 (Lake Effect Robotics)
Team Role: Operator

Rookie Year: 2015
Yossarian is an unknown quantity at this point

My team uses almost the exact same configuration.
However
We use a Gyroscope for the Rio to measure this sort of thing. There are many different kinds of gyros to buy for the Rio, with varying degrees of difficulty.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 10:51 AM
Programming and Controls Mentor
FRC #5687 (The Outliers)
Team Role: Mentor

BenBernard will become famous soon enoughBenBernard will become famous soon enough

I strongly recommend using a gyro (eg, navX) for this. You'll get MUCH better results with a gyro, and they're not terribly hard to integrate.

If you really can't switch to a gyro at this point, you can get the values empirically by logging the encoder counts to smartdashboard and turning your robot as described. If you do the logging in periodic() you can turn manually without even enabling the robot.

Last edited by BenBernard : 02-13-2018 at 10:53 AM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 10:51 AM
AKA: Kavin Phan
FRC #6750 (Pack Attack)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2017
TLHPoE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post
Each wheel is moving in an arc centered along your chassis rotational axis (affected by wheel type, weight distribution, and wheel location). You just need to calculate the arc length each wheel will move.

My guess is:
r=1/2*track
Θ=90

assuming your turning center is located midway between your center wheels.
Ah, yeah I get it now. It's just the wheel circumference into the length of the arc, with the degrees desired equal to the arc length over the circumference of the circle between the two center wheels.

As for the gyros, that probably would have been a better idea.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 11:52 AM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know I could just count the rotations using an encoder by starting the counter and then rotate the robot manually, but I'm asking if there is a way to look for the number using math instead of trials.
The theory presented here presumes no wheel slip while rotating. It's good to use this to get a ballpark initial estimate, but in real-life would probably produce somewhat poor quality results (varies depending on robot).

Gyro would seem to be the way to go, in my mind. Directly measure the thing you care about.

I would say your solution would yield an intermediate-quality result. I can't recall where I saw it, but some teams did use this method to determine the feed-forward portion of rotation calculations.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 11:56 AM
AKA: Eli Barnett
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)

Rookie Year: 2008
Oblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond repute

Run a motion profile that spins the robot in place by turning the wheels a known distance. Do some division to calculate the robot's "effective trackwidth" from the resulting angular displacement (which you should measure, either with a gyro or otherwise).

The "effective trackwidth" stays pretty reliably constant, in our experience.

Member, FRC Team 449: 2007-2010
Drive Mechanics Lead, FRC Team 449: 2009-2010
Alumnus/Technical Mentor, FRC Team 449: 2010-Present
Lead Technical Mentor, FRC Team 4464: 2012-2015
Technical Mentor, FRC Team 5830: 2015-2016

FRC Drivetrain Characterization
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Drive Coach
AKA: Antoine L.
FRC #3360 (Hyperion)

Rookie Year: 2012
MaGiC_PiKaChU has a reputation beyond reputeMaGiC_PiKaChU has a reputation beyond reputeMaGiC_PiKaChU has a reputation beyond reputeMaGiC_PiKaChU has a reputation beyond reputeMaGiC_PiKaChU has a reputation beyond reputeMaGiC_PiKaChU has a reputation beyond reputeMaGiC_PiKaChU has a reputation beyond reputeMaGiC_PiKaChU has a reputation beyond reputeMaGiC_PiKaChU has a reputation beyond reputeMaGiC_PiKaChU has a reputation beyond reputeMaGiC_PiKaChU has a reputation beyond repute

we use encoders with a PID. We convert encoders ticks to degrees with a variable that you have to find. Basically, we ask to robot to turn 360 degrees, then calculate the offset. If there was too much rotation, we tune it down a bit, and vice versa. We don't like the arc method, because it does not consider wheels spinning.
2016-2018 - 3360 - Mentor, Drive coach

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 12:03 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Our robot's chassis has 3 wheels on each side in a basic tank configuration (minus the treads).

Are all three wheels on each side chained/belted together? Or are some of them not driven (or independently driven)?

Are all wheels traction or are some omni?

How much drop do you have on the center wheels?

Where's your center of mass?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: