OCCRA
Go to Post Pro-tip: Friends don't let friends play defense! (in qualifications) - Mr. Lim [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 2.82 average. Display Modes
  #76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2018, 05:03 PM
AKA: Aaron
FRC #3140 (Flagship)
Team Role: Marketing

Rookie Year: 2016
RustyRustyRusty is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: 2019 Game Speculation

My dad and I were saying that maybe the end game would be about "docking" since Boeing is sponsoring the game, and they're working with NASA for future Moon/Mars exploration.
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2018, 05:53 PM
AKA: Kai Borah
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2015
Countersteer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2019 Game Speculation

In regard to game piece possibilities, could shot-put shots be considered?
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2018, 05:56 PM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countersteer View Post
In regard to game piece possibilities, could shot-put shots be considered?
I doubt it. It seems like it would be expensive for teams to buy and it would be unsafe to have big metal balls flying around.
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2018, 06:31 PM
AKA: Luke VanHouten
FRC #5803 (Apex Robotics)
Team Role: Scout

CupOfCocoa will become famous soon enough

Lunacy 2: Static Electric Boogaloo
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2018, 06:37 PM
FRC #0980 (Thunderbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Sea_Kerman is an unknown quantity at this point

Concept: You are the crew of a spacecraft, and an accident has caused a hull breach. You managed to make it to the emergency shelter in time, but most of the ship is in vacuo. You must use your utility bots to replace the floor hull plates and repair the valves on the air tanks.

The ground would be made out of panels, but some are missing and you need to replace them. The valves would be giant plastic nuts and bolts that you have to pick up, pass through the player station wall where a human player would put them together, then pass them back, or you could make your robot be able to assemble them itself. You would then drop them into holes in an "oxygen tank" structure.
  #81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2018, 04:57 PM
Strategy and Systems Engineering
AKA: Ronald (Ron) Houde
FRC #3986 (Express-O)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2018
TBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRustyRusty View Post
My dad and I were saying that maybe the end game would be about "docking" since Boeing is sponsoring the game, and they're working with NASA for future Moon/Mars exploration.
Deep space s that which is outside of the solar system. so I suspect will be more about interstellar mechanics and action.

Everything about launching, orbiting, landing and rovers seems to be covered by the other FIRST franchises.
  #82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2018, 10:59 PM
FRC #6996

Nimbus is an unknown quantity at this point

Next year they will want to emulate a lot of this years game, where the balance of power literally shifted through out the games, going back and forth. That made it a lot better to watch then some of the other years. In steam works, there was a lack of competing for something, both alliances worked mostly separately, rather than actually fighting over something, making the results of most games a lot more easily predictable. I was trying to think of how they could do a similar thing in relation to in the theme of Destination: Deep Space, and I am struggling to think of anything. Given the name, Destination, it would mostly likely be focused on launch or travel. Launch would result in the game being very similar to steam-works, so it will probably lean towards the travel element. How they do that, I'm not sure. Given the design of fields, it doesn't really make sense for it to be traversing of space, and going through a set of obstacles while collecting resources, but that's what I'm leaning towards.

As far as FIRST's goals go, they probably want to expand team work elements, make it harder for just one team to carry, so I reckon the game design will affect that.
  #83   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2018, 11:00 PM
FRC #6996

Nimbus is an unknown quantity at this point

This year the Cheesy Poofs were undefeated, and I don't think FIRST wants that to happen again. You don't want one robot to be able to carry two bad robots, against 3 good ones.
  #84   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2018, 11:06 PM
AKA: Charlie Lockyer
FRC #4505 (McDonogh Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2017
C4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud of
Angry Re: 2019 Game Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
This year the Cheesy Poofs were undefeated, and I don't think FIRST wants that to happen again. You don't want one robot to be able to carry two bad robots, against 3 good ones.
I think FIRST actually would rather see top teams carry than bottom teams drag alliances down. In 2017, teams basically had to climb to be competitive. #1 alliances constantly lost because they couldn't get a good climber. In 2018, they took a big step forward by offering a free climb with levitate, not only helping buddy climb strategies, but also making it plausible for an alliance to max out on climb points with two strong solo climbers and a below average, non-climbing robot.

Teamwork is good, but it should be in the vain of 2014 rather than 2017 or 2018's auto quest.

The views I express in my posts almost never represent the views of my team.
  #85   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2018, 03:27 PM
AKA: Danny Le
FRC #2522 (Royal Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

DL1505 is an unknown quantity at this point

Instead of having a "low-gravity" field like Lunacy, how about a zero-gravity field? Instead of using slippery plastic, we'll just play on ice!
  #86   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2018, 07:36 PM
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)

Lemonistic is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1505 View Post
Instead of having a "low-gravity" field like Lunacy, how about a zero-gravity field? Instead of using slippery plastic, we'll just play on ice!
...or underwater
  #87   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2018, 01:25 AM
Team President
AKA: Walker Ward
FRC #2906 (Sentinel Prime Robotics)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2009
Phred7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully, it's like Lunacy!!!

Link to the championship teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xrsZ2KxHeU
2015-18 Team President

2016-17 Dean's List Finalist

2018 Roebling Division | 55th | Wildcard | Team 2906| First time ever to PNW Regionals and World Champs
  #88   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2018, 01:32 AM
Guy
no team

Rookie Year: 2012
AlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond reputeAlexanderTheOK has a reputation beyond repute

I know this won't happen for obvious reasons, but I was thinking it would be cool if they could delay all comms between driver stations and robots, as it is with rovers and spacecraft. It would still be human controlled, but teams would have incentive to partake in "small acts of automation". A bit of vision here, a bit of path planning there...
  #89   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2018, 07:37 AM
AKA: Lander
FRC #3494 (Quadrangles)
Team Role: Driver

mrcool36572 is an unknown quantity at this point

Theme aside, I think that 2019 will either be a big ball game or some sort of indexing game similar to 2013 or 2017. I think that they could index again so quickly since useful shooters in 2017 were rare, and they might like to give teams another shot at an indexing task that will earn lots of points. My other guess is that a big ball game is coming up, since the last one was 2014, so there won't be any students left that worked on the last big ball game. Either way, I really hope that the field is at least low this year, if not flat. But I have a feeling that it won't be flat, since we've had two pretty flat fields in a row.
  #90   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2018, 10:27 PM
Strategy and Systems Engineering
AKA: Ronald (Ron) Houde
FRC #3986 (Express-O)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2018
TBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Next year they will want to emulate a lot of this years game, where the balance of power literally shifted through out the games, going back and forth. That made it a lot better to watch then some of the other years. In steam works, there was a lack of competing for something, both alliances worked mostly separately, rather than actually fighting over something, making the results of most games a lot more easily predictable. I was trying to think of how they could do a similar thing in relation to in the theme of Destination: Deep Space, and I am struggling to think of anything. Given the name, Destination, it would mostly likely be focused on launch or travel. Launch would result in the game being very similar to steam-works, so it will probably lean towards the travel element. How they do that, I'm not sure. Given the design of fields, it doesn't really make sense for it to be traversing of space, and going through a set of obstacles while collecting resources, but that's what I'm leaning towards.

As far as FIRST's goals go, they probably want to expand team work elements, make it harder for just one team to carry, so I reckon the game design will affect that.
Agreed. This shifting of power/control makes for some pretty interesting action from a spectator's perspective.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: