OCCRA
Go to Post I suppose you need to let the kiddies (including Copioli) win a few now and then. - Andy Baker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2018, 07:08 PM
Mostly Legal Volunteer
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2016
ctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud of
Re: Inexpensive tools that changed your build

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaulsen View Post
This might be on the outer edge of "inexpensive" but a handheld, battery operated band saw will change your life. We bought one for last competition season and fell in love with it immediately. Here is the model we have: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...9-20/205198632

They cut through aluminum like butter, can fit in a tight spot if needed (like cutting a protruding hex axle to acceptable length), and are perfect to bring to a competition if you need to cut things in your pit. We actually intend to get the smaller M12 version for our pit, and leave our M18 one for shop use only.
This. If you can deal with a cord and you're willing to try it, you can get one at Harbor Freight for just under $140.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtheone View Post
If you use rivets, get a air riveter. You can get a decent one fairly cheaply and they turn riveting into a job that (a) any student can do, (b) speed up the process significantly, and (c) produce much more consistent rivets. Couple it with a smallish pancake compressor and you are good to go.

I think all teams should have at least one small compressor. No replacement for shop air, but they allow you to setup anywhere, and are also fabulous to pair up with a pistol grip air nozzle and blow nasty aluminum bits out of all the nooks and cranies of your robot.

I think we set like 4 rivets this year by hand, as we could not get the air riveter into a confined space.
+1. In addition, small pancake or hot dog compressors can drive air staplers and nailers, and inflate pneumatic tires or other inflatable objects (you never know when we'll see inflatable game pieces again).

"You know, it's amazing how many things you can take apart with just one ordinary screwdriver!" - Calvin, from Calvin and Hobbes
"There's nothing a little duct tape and surgical tubing can't accomplish." - Sheldon J. Plankton
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2018, 11:35 PM
AKA: Tom Riggs
FRC #5402 (Iron Kings)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2015
Tom469 is an unknown quantity at this point

For portable Milwaukee cordless saws, I will throw a vote to the Hackzall series saws. I have the 18v. My saw came in a kit, with a drill. Very handy, cutting metal, or trimming trees. We had to do a little kitbot sculpting in 2016. One of the students didn't think we could make a certain cut, made him a believer.

18v $99.00 tool only
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...5-20/202196547

12v $89.00 tool only
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...0-20/100672230
  #63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2018, 08:36 AM
FRC #3138 (Innovators Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Michael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond repute

I just picked up a few of these 6" strap duplicators: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...?clickkey=7128

I think they will prove to be rather useful. Here's how they're used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK-d00TAJ1g

Our team also uses clecos quite a bit, but I hadn't seen these: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ickkey=3009801

They can help get into much tighter areas than you can with normal cleco pliers.
  #64   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hill View Post
I just picked up a few of these 6" strap duplicators: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...?clickkey=7128

I think they will prove to be rather useful. Here's how they're used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK-d00TAJ1g

Our team also uses clecos quite a bit, but I hadn't seen these: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ickkey=3009801

They can help get into much tighter areas than you can with normal cleco pliers.
These are awesome, thanks for the links. We'll probably buy some before next season.

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #65   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2018, 02:27 PM
FRC #3668

xjschwen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorZ View Post
Going to Ferrule connections has been great this year. All those pesky weidmullerereser (spelling?) ports on the VRM, PCM, and PDP are less prone to failure now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"Currently Unavailable", but was $27.99 when I bought it.
I second this... We went from being dead for 1-2 matches every event to not being dead in 3 events this past year... We credit this tool for much of the gain in reliability.

It is also faster than tinning every wire and easier to teach the students.
  #66   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2018, 02:43 PM
FRC #3668

xjschwen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
After 2 years of building massively underweight robots (and adding steel plates to ballast them), this year's robot clocked in at around 123 pounds on bag and tag day. We spent the next couple of weeks figuring out how the heck we were going to make weight using the 6-hour unbag window the week before our first competition.

One of the first things to go: our big, beautiful, spacious, lovingly wired -- and very heavy -- 3/16" Lexan electronics control boards. Each had a sizable chunk lopped off with a Dremel cutting tool, then the cut was dressed with a utility knife. Components were quickly relocated and zip-tied down. It's all fine, but it was a bit painful.
In the last 2 years we have started using this stuff for our boards.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4208633&ipos=3

It is very light weight, reasonably ridged, and best of all we just use wood screws to hold down our components... Just a quick poke with a screw and it is started. We cut it with a cordless circular saw.

We also use the 8mm version for other side panels that we need.
  #67   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2018, 08:02 PM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

Heat shrink shrinker (currently $12)

Helping hands for your PanaVise
  #68   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2018, 11:49 PM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, not a tool per se, but definitely an inexpensive way for teams with just a drill press (or even hand drill) to control hole placement. It doesn't work in all cases, but with a bit of creativity, you can usually get what you need.

Shortly before getting into FRC, I started buying plain 0.1" perf board to do templates for control panels and LED grids - label holes to drill with a sharpie, clamp, drill with 1/16" bit, then remove the perf board and drill real holes. Good enough to (with a drill press or steady hand) do an odd number of small holes every 0.2", drill pilots, then drill 1/4" in the first, last, and every alternate holes, then finish up with the other holes. Then, a bit of work with a file and possibly a deburring tool, and you have a 1/4" slot, suitable for chain tensioning or a clevis.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14...g?v=1478052123

Note - by drilling 1/16" first, you are able to re-use the board to drill 3 or 4 pieces with the same template. If you want to do more pieces than about 4, I'd recommend using the perfboard to make a template in metal at least 0.1" thick [that is, metal at least 50% thicker than the hole diameter) which will be used to make the actual pieces.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 06-22-2018 at 11:56 PM.
  #69   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2018, 06:32 PM
Registered Muser
no team (AndyMark)

Rookie Year: 2013
Cothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtheone View Post
... but we are very very happy with Bondhus. Great machining, very strong, and they have a true lifetime warranty. They are also made in the USA, if that matters to you.

They certainly are not the cheapest, but once you experience the joys of removing a shaft collar with a cammed out setscrew you become a believer in better tools.

Their long shaft T Handle ball end allen keys are the go to in our shop. The screwdriver versions are also very good, and faster to use when you don't need the higher torque application.

http://www.bondhus.com/bondhus_produ...ndles/hex.html

http://www.bondhus.com/bondhus_produ...vers/ball.html
I second the recommendation for Bondhus in terms of general quality, but my go-to set is still the Pittsburg T-handle set from Harbor Freight. The solid hex key set into the handle is the most fail-safe and comfortable way to really torque down or loosen up stuck bolts. And for less than $20, it's pretty easy to justify.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...set-63166.html

The Husky set from Home Depot is similarly good.

Quote:
We also use insert bits in 12V Dewalt drivers for disassembly work (like removing skid plates). Tend not to use them for assembly as "tighter is gooder" seems to be a mantra that many of our students are fully committed to.
While it can be a bit frustrating to keep reminding people about using the clutch settings on the drivers, it'll produce the most consistent results. A bit of colored nail polish on the clutch ring can help remind people to use it, mark about how tight of a clutch they should use, or just put a big "NO!" over the drill setting. You could even go the extra mile and make some hard stops that would have to be removed to set it to drill setting. Definitely wouldn't want that at competition, but might be nice when you get a large influx of freshmen who've never been taught how to use a driver properly.
  #70   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2018, 06:47 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
Marcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cothron Theiss View Post
I second the recommendation for Bondhus in terms of general quality, but my go-to set is still the Pittsburg T-handle set from Harbor Freight. The solid hex key set into the handle is the most fail-safe and comfortable way to really torque down or loosen up stuck bolts. And for less than $20, it's pretty easy to justify.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...set-63166.html

The Husky set from Home Depot is similarly good.
I actually own all three of theses sets. Thar Harbor freight ones sucked. Managed to crack a handle and they'd round out all the time. Stand was really annoying to use. Thankfully they were cheap

Husky set has this really impossible to read tiny lettering and are really difficult to tell apart unlike the Bondhus set since the handles stay roughly the same size. Stand is non existent but they do have a good warranty, I give them a meh out of 10.

The bondhus set is nice. I like the bright colors for visibility and the lettering is easy to read. The stand is nice too. They always feel really solid in the hand though maybe a little less ergonomic.

My favourite T-handles are the Wera hex-plus wrenches. The hex is optimized so it won't strip out which is great because I'm a big fan of button head bolts. They fit in the hand well and are of great quality. They are the most expensive of the bunch but are well worth it if you can afford it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: