OCCRA
Go to Post It doesn't matter to me where a FIRST local event is held, I'll be there! - Barry Bonzack [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2018, 03:12 PM
Nuts N' Bolts
AKA: Skye Leake
FRC #2767 (Stryke Force, Thunder Robotics, Team F.U.N.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
Skyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Future Game Pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Screw View Post
I think a football might be used soon. The last "sport" gamepiece that we've had was a Frisbee.

It would be difficult enough for teams to pickup and control within their robot, but easy enough to launch with plenty of football shooters already existing. Very similar to how 2013 was, but a lot more easy on anyone unlucky enough to be hit by one (if made of foam).

Footballs have been the conversation for YEARS. The earliest post I could find was an archived one from 2000....

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiver View Post
Posted by Mike Dubreuil.

Student on team #175, Buzz, from Enrico Fermi High School and UTC/Hamilton Sundstrand.

Posted on 7/17/2000 3:36 PM MST

In Reply to: QUESTION OF THE WEEK!!! posted by Andy Grady on 7/17/2000 2:34 PM MST:

I would like to see a new game piece put into play...FOOTBALLS! I am sure that I'll have a lot of supporters for that one. They are very interesting because their movement is very unpredictable (kind of like some of this years egg shaped balls, hehe).
I like the aspect of having to place something into a container that is elevated in the air. This not only adds to the difficulty but it also improves a viewers scoring accuracy. In addition I like to be able to move the goal around. It adds another scoring element (like in Double Trouble), but also increases the obstacles out on the field so robots can dodge each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayTownR View Post
I want a game with ridiculously large game pieces. Imagine a 40" power cube- how would you begin to handle that?

I'd also like to try heavy game pieces. However, there are some pretty obvious safety concerns- it hurts much less to be hit in the face with a dodgeball than a bowling ball (though 2016 has taught us that the former still hurts a lot).
Didn't FIRST want to take it easy on games that encouraged a large amount of stored mechanical potential energy? I think this was a 2014 concern when someone broke their arm on a ball catapult (that being said 2015 had perhaps more dangerous can-grabbers).

As for my own preferences, tube game, but past that - non symmetric game elements (maybe beanbags with 2017 fuel as filler?), or symmetric objects with centers of mass that are not in the geometric centroid?
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2018, 06:17 PM
FRC #4915 (Spartronics)

Rookie Year: 2016
chrisrin is a splendid one to beholdchrisrin is a splendid one to beholdchrisrin is a splendid one to beholdchrisrin is a splendid one to beholdchrisrin is a splendid one to beholdchrisrin is a splendid one to beholdchrisrin is a splendid one to behold

Considering international teamsí challenge obtaining game pieces, it makes sense to consider objects that are obtainable at scale (& durable). Footballs yes. Also foam rollers (like used for stretching muscles). Rubber track and field discus. Traffic cones....
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2018, 07:53 PM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2014
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrin View Post
...Also foam rollers (like used for stretching muscles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C7mNr5WMjA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrin View Post
Traffic cones....
https://youtu.be/qkwZLJ9GwsU?t=21s
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2018, 12:08 AM
FRC #2557

Silver2557 is an unknown quantity at this point
Contrary to what I've seen others say so far, I think I'd like to see something small and light. Big and heavy is fun, but I would like to see robots play with ping pong balls. Something small and light is more difficult to control, and would pose a challenge because a large chunk of people have a 'bigger is better' mindset. I think something small, light, and hard to shoot would pose a fun challenge for builders and drivers, and a unique game style.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2018, 12:39 AM
Mentor
FRC #4607 (C.I.S.)

Rookie Year: 2012
Chief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerthworm View Post
Could you imagine the Pit areas - let alone the workshop spaces if these were the game pieces? I might lose it...

I'MN

"Innovation cannot happen in isolation"
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2018, 06:38 AM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

Rookie Year: 2015
gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Hedgehog View Post
Could you imagine the Pit areas - let alone the workshop spaces if these were the game pieces? I might lose it...
Utter chaos, enraged volunteers, safety incidents left and right....
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2018, 07:54 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

I will always want FIRST to use these!
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2018, 07:57 AM
Webmaster - delphielite.com
AKA: Frank
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2001
FRANK(WGH) will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to FRANK(WGH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed View Post
I was thinking about this the other day. Would be cool and challenging
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2018, 07:59 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK(WGH) View Post
I was thinking about this the other day. Would be cool and challenging
Just need to develop a reliable power source or buy every D battery at the nearest BJs.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2018, 04:08 PM
no team

coder77 will become famous soon enough

... Seeing how it is spaced themed in all.... Planets maybe? In the past (at least to my knowledge) when ever they has been balls ('12, '14, '16, '17, etc) they have always been only one size. So with planets (and maybe stars) there would be a wide range of balls as small as the 2017 fuel and as big as the 2012 and 2014 big balls. And then maybe you had to shoot or gather into something. It could be challenging, seeing how pretty much every shooter ever is designed for only one size of balls.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2018, 05:11 PM
Nuts N' Bolts
AKA: Skye Leake
FRC #2767 (Stryke Force, Thunder Robotics, Team F.U.N.)

Rookie Year: 2011
Skyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder77 View Post
... Seeing how it is spaced themed in all.... Planets maybe? In the past (at least to my knowledge) when ever they has been balls ('12, '14, '16, '17, etc) they have always been only one size. So with planets (and maybe stars) there would be a wide range of balls as small as the 2017 fuel and as big as the 2012 and 2014 big balls. And then maybe you had to shoot or gather into something. It could be challenging, seeing how pretty much every shooter ever is designed for only one size of balls.
Multi-sized balls would be a fun challenge, as would varying textures, mass, or surfaces.

I'm not sure I'm up for a repeat of 2017 by "fueling up the rocket". That game concept has lost its appeal to me, even if it were to use different gamepieces for propellents.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2018, 05:33 PM
AKA: small strategic boi
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2017
alex.richards48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehawk View Post
Multi-sized balls would be a fun challenge, as would varying textures, mass, or surfaces.

I'm not sure I'm up for a repeat of 2017 by "fueling up the rocket". That game concept has lost its appeal to me, even if it were to use different gamepieces for propellents.
I totally agree, if Deep Space has some sort of rocket, space station situation they could have you repair it by scoring multiple shapes in different places.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2018, 08:20 AM
Webmaster - delphielite.com
AKA: Frank
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2001
FRANK(WGH) will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to FRANK(WGH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.richards48 View Post
I totally agree, if Deep Space has some sort of rocket, space station situation they could have you repair it by scoring multiple shapes in different places.
Taking my ideas now, eh?
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2018, 08:30 AM
A Loose Screw
AKA: Chris
FTC #5237 (Loose Screws)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2004
Loose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder77 View Post
Good idea, but be careful oh how scoring is implemented. FTC used two sizes of wiffle balls for Cascade Effect, and points were scored based on how high you could fill tubes. There was a limit to how many you could carry at once, and the small balls almost became obstacles because of that. I think that was the only time I've seen teams avoid picking up a game piece.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2018, 09:20 AM
FRC #2481

MazerRackham is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed View Post
Roombas.
The game would be called Roomba Roundup. Teams capture Roombas and place them in a corral on their end of the field and can steal Roombas from the other alliances side and put them in their corral.
http://www.robonation.org/competition/iarc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: