OCCRA
Go to Post This looks like a job for duct tape! - JoeXIII'007 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-08-2018, 01:24 PM
FRC #3419

SndMndBdy is on a distinguished road
Re: Low Cost, Traction Swerve

Could you tell us a little bit more about how the encoder works?
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2018, 05:34 PM
AKA: Elmer Lee
FRC #5205 (Full Metal Jackets)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2016
sthump is a name known to allsthump is a name known to allsthump is a name known to allsthump is a name known to allsthump is a name known to allsthump is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SndMndBdy View Post
Could you tell us a little bit more about how the encoder works?
We use three of these IR sensor:

https://www.alliedelec.com/optek-tt-...IaAqFyEALw_wcB

to create a quadrature encoder signal. The 3rd is the Z channel to detect a single home slit around the OD of the encoder disc.

We 3D printed an attachment head that bolts onto the stationary mount plate. The 3D printed part spaces the 3 sensors to the appropriate depth to read the slots.

We laser cut a 0.030" thk steel disc with 180 slots slanted at about 20 degrees. The slot width is about 0.050".

We had some early issues with aligning the encoder head to make sure it was concentric with the axis of rotation. After a bunch of playing around I think we finally got alignment down to about 0.010". That seemed to be good enough to provide consistent readings.

It also helps that we re-zero every time we see the Z channel go high.

To be honest, we don't love this encoder design. We question its durability and reliability throughout an entire season of getting smacked around. We have a version 2 that we are making now that will have a hollow bore slip ring and allow us to pass a encoder rod thru the center. We'll use a standard CTRE mag encoder which we know is fairly reliable.

Picture of the assembly is attached, I think (I'm still getting the hang of posting on CD):

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/a...d=15365287 91

On the subject of slip rings, we are wondering if a slip ring is even necessary. With as fast as this turns, we can limit rotational travel to +/- 360 degrees via software and never need a slip ring. Has anyone ever tried that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swerve Encoder Disk and Reader Head.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	23534  
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2018, 06:42 PM
FRC #1533 (Triple Strange)

Rookie Year: 2014
wgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthump View Post
On the subject of slip rings, we are wondering if a slip ring is even necessary. With as fast as this turns, we can limit rotational travel to +/- 360 degrees via software and never need a slip ring. Has anyone ever tried that?
I would not do this. You will hit the +360 or -360 limits far too often (if you are driving swervy and not tanky) and your modules will have to do a spin to reset back to 0. I would stick with the slip ring unless it is seriously constraining your design. If you are using 775s, you probably want to limit the motor power to well within the limits of the slip ring, so I don't think the slip ring will limit you power. If you have the motor controllers on the rotating part, then you have 2 wires for power and return for each motor and the other 2 wires for CAN. So you should be all set in terms of the wires.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2018, 07:15 PM
AKA: Nick Schatz
no team ('Snow Problem, 3184 Alum)
Team Role: Programmer

nickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond repute

If you'll let me propose an idea, this is how I designed an encoder mount for my traction swerves.

https://i.imgur.com/AVxRQFE.png

The mated gear is meant to be pressed onto the rotor housing of the slip ring.

It doesn't look like your slip ring is mechanically fixed to the rotation of the module, but depending on how tightly the wires are bound that may not be a problem. Alternately, if you have talon SRXes on the module, you can put it on the module instead with a similar design and read the encoder through CAN.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-19-2018, 01:24 AM
Nuts N' Bolts
AKA: Skye Leake
FRC #2767 (Stryke Force, Thunder Robotics, Team F.U.N.)

Rookie Year: 2011
Skyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbrickmaster View Post
If you'll let me propose an idea, this is how I designed an encoder mount for my traction swerves.

https://i.imgur.com/AVxRQFE.png

The mated gear is meant to be pressed onto the rotor housing of the slip ring.

It doesn't look like your slip ring is mechanically fixed to the rotation of the module, but depending on how tightly the wires are bound that may not be a problem. Alternately, if you have talon SRXes on the module, you can put it on the module instead with a similar design and read the encoder through CAN.
Can you use a smaller module/pitch gear-set to help reduce backlash error on your azimuth encoder? The pitch looks a bit large to be for precision (IMO of course). I am taking a guess here, but is that gear a 3d-printed part? I know you can only push 3d geartrains so small...
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-19-2018, 12:35 PM
Classic
no team

Rookie Year: 2015
Fields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to beholdFields is a splendid one to behold

What is your slip ring rated for?

♪ 99 little bugs in the code
99 little bugs ♫
Take one down, patch it around
108 little bugs in the code ♫ ♪ ♫
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-19-2018, 08:54 PM

sthump is a name known to allsthump is a name known to allsthump is a name known to allsthump is a name known to allsthump is a name known to allsthump is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehawk View Post
Can you use a smaller module/pitch gear-set to help reduce backlash error on your azimuth encoder? The pitch looks a bit large to be for precision (IMO of course). I am taking a guess here, but is that gear a 3d-printed part? I know you can only push 3d geartrains so small...
We can't totally know for sure until we run this on the ground. In the test bed, it actually looked liked it snapped to it's heading fairly well. But, I do agree and that why we've redesigned to include an SRX mag encoder. Should have that prototype up and running in about a week is what we're hoping.

The gear is not a gear but an encoder disc laser cut. Laser cutter has an accuracy of +/-0.005". It was our IR sensor that required the slit to be 0.050" wide. Thus we only got the 2 degrees of resolution.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-19-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields View Post
What is your slip ring rated for?
It's a 4 channel slip ring with each channel rated for 30 amps.

We got it on Aliexpress, which is now my favorite shopping place.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wind...ceBeautifyAB=0
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-19-2018, 11:21 PM
AKA: Nick Schatz
no team ('Snow Problem, 3184 Alum)
Team Role: Programmer

nickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehawk View Post
Yes it would be 3D printed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think because of the involute nature of a gear, it wouldn't matter what pitch one chooses. I could see how practically this may not be as good as theory though. Given that there's no load on this part, I would feel comfortable starting at 20dp at least (currently 10.)
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-20-2018, 12:15 AM
Nuts N' Bolts
AKA: Skye Leake
FRC #2767 (Stryke Force, Thunder Robotics, Team F.U.N.)

Rookie Year: 2011
Skyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbrickmaster View Post
Yes it would be 3D printed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think because of the involute nature of a gear, it wouldn't matter what pitch one chooses. I could see how practically this may not be as good as theory though. Given that there's no load on this part, I would feel comfortable starting at 20dp at least (currently 10.)
With the involute tooth profile on a large DP gear you are engaging further from the line of center. This is reduced by either:
  • increasing the dp to bring the engagement point in closer to the line of center
  • switching to a cycloidal tooth pattern (a bit passe) to align the tooth engagement with the line of center

In theory this all would provide better efficiency at the cost of max torque transmittance, but if +/- 2 deg is the target window and it's comfortably being managing that I wouldn't worry about my little rant in this post

Does this matter in practice? Probably not a whole lot, so long as you are within the "realm of reasonable" and take care in making the parts.

Last edited by Skyehawk : 09-20-2018 at 12:18 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: