OCCRA
Go to Post The Glass is Half Full - Optimist.......The Glass is Half Empty - Pessimist.......The Glass is too Big - Engineer - mpking [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2018, 06:59 PM
FRC #5546 (A.R.T.)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2017
brad.harker is an unknown quantity at this point
Deep Learning/Neural Network Use In Scouting

Hi, I'm a real beginner with deep learning and I've only messed around with it a small amount. So I've seen other teams out here with full scouting applications with predictive deep learning algorithms to predict match results. A lot of this seems completely overwhelming so I was wondering (maybe this will be helpful to others looking as well) if you guys have seen any good resources for getting into deep learning in an FRC Scouting environment? Thanks so much!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2018, 07:28 PM
AKA: Callum Gundlach
FRC #1747
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2016
cgund98 is a glorious beacon of lightcgund98 is a glorious beacon of lightcgund98 is a glorious beacon of lightcgund98 is a glorious beacon of lightcgund98 is a glorious beacon of lightcgund98 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Deep Learning/Neural Network Use In Scouting

Deep learning is a niche that takes a good amount of attention to grasp. The most important thing for a neural network is the data, which is, in my opinion, where the problem is in the FRC environment. While you can collect performance data for each match, it is hard to narrow robot characteristics down to a data point. Models need good, solid data. The more info the better.

That being said, I wish you luck in your ventures. You have to start of with the basics and work your way up. I personally took Andrew Ng's ML course on Coursera and then loved Practical Deep Learning for Coders from fast.ai.

You can find more courses from articles like this

Good luck!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2018, 07:29 PM
FRC #2102
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
WaydeG is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out part 1 of Fastai's MOOC. I developed all the predicted match scores/robot stats features for my team's (Team 2102) scouting application last year using key principles from this course. I suggest that you've got a decent background in high school math, Python, and a willingness to learn/struggle with new concepts as you go into the course as it took me a few times to go through all the lessons to really understand what I was doing. I'm actually working on a write up right now on how we developed our scouting application RoboRecon which includes all the ML/Deep Learning work. PM me if you've got more questions.

-Wayde
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2018, 10:15 PM
AKA: Solomon
FRC #2898 (Flying Hedgehogs)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
solomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant future

There's really not enough data out there to develop comprehensive predictions. I'd love to be proven wrong, but so far every scouting or prediction system I've seen that uses any sort of machine learning either produces highly inaccurate data, makes a _lot_ of assumptions (producing pretty but generally inaccurate data), or barely outperforms a simple OPR or win-loss rate comparison. Neural networks need a ton of data, and that data just isn't out there.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2018, 08:51 AM
FRC #1665 (Weapons of Mass Construction)
Team Role: Driver

Aaron Li is an unknown quantity at this point
What do you mean by scouting? We have clipboards and printed sheets to scout all teams from auto to endgame. It's not 100% accurate as there can be a few misunderstandings and our scouters may not understand them. We collect these and look at them at the hotels, in the stands and the pits. We're usually forgiving on penalties but constant reoccurrence well be significant. But that's the way our scouting goes.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2018, 09:57 AM
Roboter
AKA: Mark Lavrentyev
no team (FullMetal Falcons)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2015
Hitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Li View Post
What do you mean by scouting? We have clipboards and printed sheets to scout all teams from auto to endgame. It's not 100% accurate as there can be a few misunderstandings and our scouters may not understand them. We collect these and look at them at the hotels, in the stands and the pits. We're usually forgiving on penalties but constant reoccurrence well be significant. But that's the way our scouting goes.
I think OP is talking about using the data you collected (by app, paper, scantron, whatever) to make match predictions/give picklists using deep learning.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2018, 10:39 AM
FRC #2502 (Talon Robotics)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2012
Poorva.Halbe is an unknown quantity at this point

We use tablets to get scouting data with an app, that later gets compiled into an excel spreadsheet. Our mentor works with statistics quite a bit (CD username "Whatever") and he made an extremely accurate FTC calculator a few years ago using algorithms which he then implemented last year for FRC. I'm sure if you have questions he could help!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2018, 01:36 PM
FRC #4946 (Alpha Dogs)
Team Role: Parent

kpildner is an unknown quantity at this point

I have used the following data sources in the past to build predictive models. Both sources update and publish weekly on during the FIRST Robotics Season.

Caleb Sykes posts white papers and past season statistics, as well as a scouting database. Ether also publishes raw data and analysis.

Start with the White Papers published by Caleb: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/3315

Caleb's scouting data base:
https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/3439

Ether's published raw data.
https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/3451

Good luck!

Kathleen

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: