OCCRA
Go to Post Friends don't let friends drive mecanum. Enough said... - Botsup [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Chase's old account
AKA: Chase
FRC #1546 (Chaos inc.)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2005
BaldwinNYRookie will become famous soon enoughBaldwinNYRookie will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BaldwinNYRookie
Vex bot programming Q's

Alright, I'm just the team photographer I don't do too much technical stuff, but I really want to build a robot. So I was thinking about getting myself a VEX Starter kit, I could work on it over the summer. I'm pretty sure I can build it, but I don't know the first thing about programming. So I have a couple of questions for anyone who has built a Vex bot before I start saving up for this thing. Does it involve a lot of programming? If so how would I learn how to program it? I don't want to spend $300 to find I can't do anything with it.
CHAOS INC. TEAM #1546
2004- Brunswick Eruption- Against All Odds Award
2005- Long Island Regionals- Rookie Allstar Award

robot.baldwinschools.net

http://www.e-reincarnation.com/reincarnation_benjamin_franklin.html
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2005, 07:32 PM
FRC #0190

Rookie Year: 2000
BrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud of
Re: Vex bot programming Q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldwinNYRookie
Alright, I'm just the team photographer I don't do too much technical stuff, but I really want to build a robot. So I was thinking about getting myself a VEX Starter kit, I could work on it over the summer. I'm pretty sure I can build it, but I don't know the first thing about programming. So I have a couple of questions for anyone who has built a Vex bot before I start saving up for this thing. Does it involve a lot of programming? If so how would I learn how to program it? I don't want to spend $300 to find I can't do anything with it.
Out of the box right now, you can't even program it. It's pretty capable with the default code and setting jumpers and changing settings on the controller. You'll have to wait a few months before the programming unit is available to purchase.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute

The kit today does not require programming by the user. Actually, it doesn't even support programming by the user yet. It has the equivalent of "default code" loaded, with specific outputs responding to specific joystick and button inputs. The programming tools are to be available "sometime this summer" according to the people who were demonstrating it at Championship.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Greg Needel's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
REVving up for a new season
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute

just a follow up...no right now you can not program the unit but when the programing module comes out you will be able to program it in c or use a custom vex GUI which will make programing simple just like the Lego mind storms. so don;t be afraid of the programing side of things because right now you don;t need it and when it does come out it is made so people with no programing knowledge (like you and me) can still do cool stuff
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2005, 08:12 PM
has common ground with Matt Krass
AKA: Mike Sorrenti
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots (See-Hoe-Bots) [T.R.I.B.E.])
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute

I would buy a robovation controller ($249 new, you can probably get one used)

Imagine the FRC controller, smaller. They're really easy to get started with and can do all tons of advanced stuff too.

http://ifirobotics.com/edu-rc.shtml
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2005, 08:20 PM
FRC #0190

Rookie Year: 2000
BrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWasHere05
I would buy a robovation controller ($249 new, you can probably get one used)

Imagine the FRC controller, smaller. They're really easy to get started with and can do all tons of advanced stuff too.

http://ifirobotics.com/edu-rc.shtml
The vex kit is a far better deal - $300 for the same thing minus rs232 port and solenoid outs, and includes all the robovation metal, better wheels, a reciever and transmitter. (Which would cost you nearly $600 for the robovation kit).

Last edited by BrianBSL : 05-02-2005 at 08:33 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2005, 04:45 PM
no team

TheTormented is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldwinNYRookie
yeah Baldwin I have the programming kit myself and its really good from my perspective. If you get it you need to get the programming kit as well cause the programming kit will be C based from what I read on this one website (http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct_id=276-2152) and also if your new to programming the programming kit is really good at teaching beginners about programming so i really hope you get the Vex Starter Kit over any other robot.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: