OCCRA
Go to Post No such thing as asking too much. There is such a thing as asking too fast, but not too much. - EricH [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
FIRST History on TechnoKats website

The TechnoKats are one of the few teams (7?) who have been in FIRST since 1992. Over the years, we have stored many items of information in our filing cabinets. About two years ago, we decided to start putting this information into a digital format (scanning pictures into computer files, converting video to DVD, and scanning papers into pdf documents).

Delphi engineer Amy Przybylinski has led this project all of this time, while soliciting help from many people on the team. Recently, she has provided this information to the team's webmaster, student Eric Jiang (also the lead animator). Eric and Amy have worked hard to get alot of information on this site that many teams may want to see.

So... with thanks to Amy, Eric, and the rest of the TechnoKats who helped with this, I direct you to the history section of the TechnoKats website: http://www.technokats.org/historyproject.php

This shows teams, results, game rules, event information, yearbook stuff, and even rules updates from years 1992-2000.

Enjoy,
Andy B.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FIRST History on TechnoKats website

Aaaaah! I think my head just exploded from looking at this awesomeness. You guys are great. This is super cool.

Do you guys have plans on making the videos available from the site?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. This is some cool stuff. I've been waiting for a resource like this for a long time. Take a look through the brackets from the 1998 season. It might take a minute to figure it all out, but once you do, you'll see a few epic matches in there. A big thank you to all the T-kats who made this happen.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I get a kick going through all the old stuff at our site. The most fun thing is trying to figure out who's who back in the day as in reference to now (I still can't believe the Technokats were called the ScienceKats). It's just cool to see how much FIRST has change over the years.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2007, 08:15 PM
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCurtis View Post
Do you guys have plans on making the videos available from the site?
(thanks, Ian)

This is an ongoing project. Eventually, we do want to get the early year matches hosted so the FIRST community can see them. Most are now in DVD format.

As we make updates, someone from the team will update this thread and let folks know what is new.

Andy B.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

It would be cool if FIRST could set up a portable museam with a look back at it's history at the championships so everybody could see how FIRST was.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post

Delphi engineer Amy Przybylinski has led this project all of this time, while soliciting help from many people on the team. Recently, she has provided this information to the team's webmaster, student Eric Jiang (also the lead animator). Eric and Amy have worked hard to get alot of information on this site that many teams may want to see.
This is going to be an invaluable resource. History, research, promotion, understanding, appreciation - it is wonderful.
A two year project is not easy to keep at the top of the list of priorities when others want to bump ahead and demand attention. That Amy and her fellow members of FRC Team 45 committed to the project and saw it through is really special in itself. Congratulations.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2007, 08:47 PM
FRC #1745 (P-51 Mustangs)

Rookie Year: 2005
Pavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for sharing that. For the past two years I have tried to get more and more information about the games before my time and last year and before today there were always bumps and blocks in the way where FIRST usually cut me off or sometimes the teams that had the data did not go back far enough or was only team specific with pictures of the games and pictures of their bots, but this is great. Thank you for bringing back for some of us what was lost.

Just comparing some of the rules and some of the other stuff in the manual makes me realize how U.S. FIRST has changed and transformed into the FIRST that we all know of today.

Ms. Przybylinski and Mr Jiang did a wonderful job and a Thank You to the TechnoKats for publishing it for us.

Pavan.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2007, 08:46 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
AmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond repute

Hay all,

Andy beat me to the punch in posting this info.... Anywho, sorry it has taken so long to get this history stuff public! Intended for it to be ready last year, but... ya know how it goes. Sooner than later (hopefully) we'll have the last 6 years up as well, just as soon as I get that info to Eric.

Check out the Photo Gallery too... We definitely have WAY more photos than what is on here, but the posted ones are some of the better ones... and it would take forever to upload every picture.

It may be a little while before we get some videos online. I think after 150+ VHS tapes, we're finally down to the last 10 or so to get converted...Then it'll be a matter of converting to "online format". BUT - we might have some of this stuff with us in Atlanta to play on our kiosk... but I just counted about 67 DVDs in my living room, so probably won't be bringing all of them! Hopefully I will be able to make a nice compiled list of everything we do have on video.

Hope you're enjoying what we have up so far... tried to put the stuff on our website that the FIRST community would be most interested in.... If you have questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Co-Chair Boilermaker Regional Planning Committee 2004-2011
2008 St. Louis Regional Finalists and Engineering Inspiration Award
2007 St. Louis Regional Champions - Thanks 1444 & 829! / St. Louis and Boilermaker Quality Award
2006 Boilermaker Chairman's Award
Referee - IRI - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
2005 Midwest Regional - Semifinalist, Engineering Inspiration Award, and Safety Award / Boilermaker Regional - Judges Award
2004 Midwest Regional Champions - Thanks 269 and 930! / IRI Runner-Up - Thanks to 234 and 447!!!
2004 Championship: Archimedes Finalist - Thanks 716 and 1272!
"We are going to be praised and criticized more than we deserve. We are not to be affected by either." ~ co-worker
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Never Forget FIRST 1992-2000
no team

Rookie Year: 1996
Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Justin

First off let me say this is a great project and I am in no way surprised to see the TechnoKats leading the charge. I have often wondered how this might be accomplished on a FIRST wide basis. It is cool to put up generic stuff with regards to the various years and certainly a great place to start for an effort such as this. Just looking at my own collection of "FIRST stuff" from the last 11 years it is amazing to me how much I've picked up here and there pins, buttons, pamphlets, etc. etc., there must be so much of that kind of thing locked up in closets, etc. It would be great to memorialize it all some how. Bravo though to the TechnoKats for starting this effort. I hope it continues to grow I think looking back at were we've come from provides a much deeper understanding of just what this FIRST thing is all about especially for kids, mentors, etc. who are just being exposed.

-Justin
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2007, 04:14 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

History of FIRST is an awesome thing. I spent Sunday watching some old 1997 Torroid Terror ESPN Footage on a tape I found in my room of FIRST history stuff I was going through from my team.

(Anyone know who I would contact to seek permission to digitize that and upload it somewhere online for all to enjoy?)

Too bad I didn't see that one in particular before we started building this year. Those tube manipulators back then were pretty impressive.

Such a huge difference in the game and the field since then, but obviously no lack of excitement over the years for the program.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Outstanding work, I absolutely love it. This is a fantastic resource for looking into the often murky realms of FIRST past.
My only concern is....why is the only picture of a 116 bot a picture of our 2005 bot tipped over?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2007, 05:01 PM
FRC #2702 (REBotics)

Bongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Bongle

Found this thread while looking for exactly what this thread is (FIRST history).

I'm looking to heavily update the pre-2003 game pages on wikipedia with pictures, winners, team counts, etc. Can I upload the images to wikipedia if there are any suitable ones?
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2007, 05:02 PM
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongle View Post
Found this thread while looking for exactly what this thread is (FIRST history).

I'm looking to heavily update the pre-2003 game pages on wikipedia with pictures, winners, team counts, etc. Can I upload the images to wikipedia if there are any suitable ones?
Yes, please do. This stuff is available for anyone to use.

Andy b.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2007, 05:11 PM
FRC #2702 (REBotics)

Bongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Bongle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post
Yes, please do. This stuff is available for anyone to use.

Andy b.
Wow, that was fast.

I'm about to make a change based on what I'm reading in these news articles: The 'championship' in 1992-1994 was the only competition, right? There was no regional->national setup because there weren't enough teams?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: