Go to Post You can admire machines, but you don't really love them... This program has enabled me to make a difference that I believe is good for the future of humans on this planet. - MooreteP [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute
Karthik: Effective FIRST Strategies 2010

With the Championships in Atlanta rapidly approaching, I'd like to remind teams of the FIRST Robotics Conference which will be taking place. There are going to be some very exciting conferences, especially the panel discussion being led by JVN at 7:15 PM on Wednesday evening. Earlier in the evening at 5:00 PM, I will once again be delivering my seminar on Effective FIRST Strategies. Here is a thread discussing last year's edition of this seminar:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=76778

And the abstract:

Quote:
This presentation focuses on three major areas, Strategic Design, Match Planning/Execution, and Scouting. Rather than spending time on equations and detailed calculations, the Strategic Design gives a more high-level overview of how to design an FRC robot. This portion of the presentation includes sections on such often neglected strategic design areas such as Game Analysis, Chokehold Strategies, Cost-Benefit Analysis, Task Prioritization, and Tradeoffs using case studies from past games. The Match Planning/Execution section of the presentation discusses effective habits and strategies that will help lead a team to victory. This is a must for those who enjoy the strategic aspects of FIRST. The Scouting section deals with effective techniques to collect information on your partners/opponents, and how to make the most of this data. The presentation is filled with entertaining and insightful historical FIRST anecdotes from the past 12 years. With the information in this presentation, you can turn your team from a mere competitor to a perennial powerhouse!
To make things more current, I'll probably spend a good amount of time discussing the current scoring and ranking system and the various strategies and the ethical issues associated with them. If there are any other topics people would like me to focus on, please let me know.

Also, if you're coming down early on Wednesday make sure you check out Raul's pneumatics presentation right before mine, and JVN's presentation on the engineering design process immediately after mine. It should be a great night for any FIRST or engineering junkie.

For more information on all the conferences, please visit the following link:

http://usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/....aspx?id=11300
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Lights Out, Game On
FRC #0323 (Lights Out)

Rookie Year: 2002
Meredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond reputeMeredith Novak has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Karthik: Effective FIRST Strategies 2010

Karthik,

Are you going to tell us the story of the 3-legged wildebeest? Please, please.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Parent and Volunteer
AKA: Richard Singletary
FRC #0548

Rookie Year: 2008
ExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant future

I am really looking forward to your discussion.

Quote:
I'll probably spend a good amount of time discussing the current scoring and ranking system and the various strategies and the ethical issues associated with them.
I just threw these numbers together and I'm sure there is much more depth than this but at the Michigan State Championship with 65 teams:

Seeding rankings 13, 14, 15, 17, and 18 were not selected for the top 24.

Seeding rankings 44, 45, 47, 48, and 62 were selected in the top 24 with 45 as the fourth pick and 62 selected by the top seeded alliance and eventual victors.

I apologize if my numbers or team numbers are incorrect but it certainly speaks to the seeding rankings. Huge importance for top 8.....much less for the rest of the pack.

2010 REFEREE: Kettering, Ann Arbor, Wayne State, Troy, MI Championship, Atlanta-Newton field, IGVC TARDEC, MARC and upcoming KETTERING Kickoff.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Don't lay blame. Fix probems.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not surprised the picks went that way. There are completely different criteria and weighting for the second pick than there are the first.

Generally speaking, the second pick is a defensive pick. Therefore, many robots get thrown out of the mix simply becuase of small things like their lack of acceleration, speed, or traction. Those robots may be excellent offensive bots, but no-so-good defensive ones.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2010, 11:51 AM
<< (2008 Game Piece)
FRC #1918 (NC Gears)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
Wayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=ExTexan;948397]

Seeding rankings 44, 45, 47, 48, and 62 were selected in the top 24 with 45 as the fourth pick and 62 selected by the top seeded alliance and eventual victors.

Hmmmm. I'm getting off topic, but this is the first I've heard this. I'm not in charge of scouting, but it goes to show how low the importance of seeding rank is when looking for a good 2nd pick partner. Never despair.

I would be interested to hear what JVN has to say. The difficulty and importance of scouting is underrated by so many. I think some of our students consider it is a form of punishment.

FRC 1918 (Competing at FIM Traverse City and Kentwood events in 2018)
FTC 6043, 7911 & 13554
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2010, 12:25 PM
CaMOElot, it is a silly place
AKA: My First Name is really "The" (or Brian)
FRC #0365 (The Miracle Workerz); FRC#1495 (AGR); FRC#4342 (Demon)

Rookie Year: 2001
The Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to The Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne TenBrink View Post
I would be interested to hear what JVN has to say. The difficulty and importance of scouting is underrated by so many. I think some of our students consider it is a form of punishment.
I'm sure JVN will say something (usually heckling from the back) but Karthik will be talking for most of the strategy presentation. JVN's panel is afterwards in the same room (come early get a good seat for all the presentations).

"Scouting is not a punishment" is an important point of Karthik's presentation. Making strategy fun for my team is my focus since I attended Karthik talk a few years ago. His talk inspires you to improve your approach to strategy.
Examples of improvements my team made:
-More technology usage
-Getting to know the team you are scouting
-More lively Friday night meetings
-Fantasy FIRST Draft for the strategy team before the event w/ prizes for winners.
Electrical & Programming Mentor ---Team #365 "The Miracle Workerz"
Programming Mentor ---Team #4342 "Demon Robotics"
Founding Mentor --- Team #1495 Avon Grove High School
2007 CMP Chairman's Award - Thanks to all MOE members (and others) past and present who made it a reality.
Robot Inspector
"I don't think I'm ever more ''aware'' than I am right after I burn my thumb with a soldering iron"

Last edited by The Lucas : 04-06-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: