OCCRA
Go to Post Imagination is important, but try not to use it as a substitute for actual information. - Alan Anderson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2018, 06:21 PM
FRC #6164 (Moonshot Slaybots)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
18gliccolt is an unknown quantity at this point
Bare Bones RoboRio?

I am looking for some way to take the roboRio off one of our teams old bots and use it to debug my program, while our main bot has been sealed up. I plan to use a multi-meter and oscilloscope to look at the outputs of the roboRio while I work on it. My biggest concern is powering the Rio. I don't want to have to take off the PDP from our old bot as well (its basically a rats nest of wires I don't want to deal with) can I wire the RoboRio straight into one of the big 12v batteries or would I be better off finding a variable power supplies from a friend?

If anyone else has done this before do you have any other advice for me?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2018, 06:30 PM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Minnetonka)
Team Role: Leadership

pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bare Bones RoboRio?

I would say a benchtop DC power supply would be better as you can set a current limit. That way it's harder to damage the roboRIO accidentally.

I would, however, recommend talking to nearby teams to see if you can borrow a PDP. That is a much safer option in my opinion.

“Courage cannot exist in the absence of fear.”
2010-2011: FLL 11083, 13873 (Minnetonka Silver) - Programmer
2016-: FRC 3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) - Engineering Captain, Driver, Programming Lead
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka) - Founding Mentor
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2018, 07:24 PM
http://imjac.in/ta/name
AKA: Jaci R Brunning
FRC #5333 (Can't C#) #5663 (Ground Control) | (OpenRIO, FRC West Aus)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2015
Jaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond repute

I find a 12v 1-2a wall plug works just fine with the RIO. Shove a fuse inline if you want to be careful.

Curtin FRC (5333+5663) : Head Mentor
WPILib : Developer

Website | Github
jaci.brunning@gmail.com
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2018, 09:31 PM
FRC #4930 (Electric Mayhem)

DPolkowski has a spectacular aura aboutDPolkowski has a spectacular aura about

Max power draw is 45W and that is when you are providing maximum power to other devices from the Rio. Standing power is 5W. You could power it off your other robot via a spare voltage regulator and connecting it to the 12V 2A port which would give you 24W.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2018, 09:37 PM
Mentor
FRC #4607 (C.I.S.)

Rookie Year: 2012
Chief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18gliccolt View Post
I am looking for some way to take the roboRio off one of our teams old bots and use it to debug my program,
Your team does realize that you can reuse the Robo-Rio each year, correct? The way you talk it makes me think that you have like 4-5 old robots (practice/comp) just lying around with full electrical + components.
"Innovation cannot happen in isolation"
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2018, 05:02 AM
Electron Tamer
AKA: Ken Pontbriant
FRC #0230 (Gaelhawks)

Rookie Year: 2012
electroken is a jewel in the roughelectroken is a jewel in the roughelectroken is a jewel in the roughelectroken is a jewel in the rough

Our programming team uses one of these LED strip power supplies from Amazon until the rest of us provide a robot:

https://www.amazon.com/LEDMO-Power-S...d+power+supply

It's small, light, inexpensive, and gets the job done.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Hedgehog View Post
Your team does realize that you can reuse the Robo-Rio each year, correct? The way you talk it makes me think that you have like 4-5 old robots (practice/comp) just lying around with full electrical + components.
Yeah we know that, we only just have the one extra roborio.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroken View Post
Our programming team uses one of these LED strip power supplies from Amazon until the rest of us provide a robot:

https://www.amazon.com/LEDMO-Power-S...d+power+supply

It's small, light, inexpensive, and gets the job done.

I'll definitely bring this up to my mentors about getting for next season. Thanks
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2018, 07:01 PM

Ended up going with the power supply route, my dad had one laying around. Currently updating the rio so I can get to testing on it. everything seems to be going well. Using constant voltage of 11v
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2018, 04:49 PM
Programming Mentor, 972 and 2643
FRC #2643 (Dark Matter)

Rookie Year: 2005
garyk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant futuregaryk has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18gliccolt View Post
I am looking for some way to take the roboRio off one of our teams old bots and use it to debug my program, while our main bot has been sealed up. I plan to use a multi-meter and oscilloscope to look at the outputs of the roboRio while I work on it. My biggest concern is powering the Rio. I don't want to have to take off the PDP from our old bot as well (its basically a rats nest of wires I don't want to deal with) can I wire the RoboRio straight into one of the big 12v batteries or would I be better off finding a variable power supplies from a friend?

If anyone else has done this before do you have any other advice for me?
You certainly can use a robot battery for this purpose. It’s a good practice to put a fuse in the circuit, like an in-line fuseholder:https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...775-ND/3425489. If there are no sensors, RSL, servos, etc. the roboRIO will consume so little power that a 1A fuse will be fine. Remember the roboRIO has an led to show the state of the RSL.

Silicon Valley Regional 2005, 2006 972
Silicon Valley Regional 2007 668 Xerox Creativity Award
Championship Event 2007 668
Portland Regional 2008 668
Silicon Valley Regional 2008 668, 972
Beta Test Team 2008 668 (with 100 & 254)
Silicon Valley Regional 2009 668 Regional Chairman's Award; 2643
Sacramento Regional 2009 668 Winning Alliance (thanks, 1717 & 2473!), 2010 Winning Alliance 3256
CalGames 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Field Tech
NorCal FTC Regional 2008, 2009 Inspector
Championship Event 2009
San Diego, Silicon Valley Regionals; Champ. Event 2010 668, 2643, 3256
Silicon Valley, Madera Regional 2012 2643
WRRF Programming Instructor 2006-2016
Regional Woodie Flowers Award 2014 2643 Utah Regional

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2018, 08:35 PM
FRC #5013 (Trobots)

Rookie Year: 2006
blturner has much to be proud ofblturner has much to be proud ofblturner has much to be proud ofblturner has much to be proud ofblturner has much to be proud ofblturner has much to be proud ofblturner has much to be proud ofblturner has much to be proud ofblturner has much to be proud of

A cheap servo plugged into a pwm port will show you what throttle command is being sent. Way easier than an oscilloscope.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2018, 07:46 AM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

If you are reading from any CAN devices, you'll likely get timeout errors. Our all-SRX drivetrain this year made the standalone-RIO solution a bit rough to debug on (the shower of timeouts and errors was messing with our ability to run real-time). As a result, we now have "simGearbox.java" and "realGearbox.java", and a boolean in the drivetrain class to select which to use. Sim is effectively a super simply plant model of the gearbox but with no SRX interaction, and Real will actually read/write with the SRX's.

Just gotta remember to set that boolean properly before deploying to the actual robot.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-04-2018, 02:21 PM
we'll fix it in the pit
FRC #2706 (Merge Robotics)

GreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerthworm View Post
If you are reading from any CAN devices, you'll likely get timeout errors. Our all-SRX drivetrain this year made the standalone-RIO solution a bit rough to debug on (the shower of timeouts and errors was messing with our ability to run real-time). As a result, we now have "simGearbox.java" and "realGearbox.java", and a boolean in the drivetrain class to select which to use. Sim is effectively a super simply plant model of the gearbox but with no SRX interaction, and Real will actually read/write with the SRX's.

Just gotta remember to set that boolean properly before deploying to the actual robot.
Sorry to bring up an older post. What would cause timeout errors? Are you talking about a bare RoboRio talking to a set of SRX's that are not connected to actual motors?

"If I'm going to mentor someone, I'm going to be involved in their life as a positive force." -Mechvet
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
Sorry to bring up an older post. What would cause timeout errors? Are you talking about a bare RoboRio talking to a set of SRX's that are not connected to actual motors?
Was referring to a roborio with nothing connected besides network and power. If your code says there should be can devices, at least in previous years, there were errors or warnings generates if the specified devices were not found.

If the controller is hooked up and powered, I expect no error regardless of whether a motor is connected or not.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2018, 02:58 PM
we'll fix it in the pit
FRC #2706 (Merge Robotics)

GreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerthworm View Post
Was referring to a roborio with nothing connected besides network and power. If your code says there should be can devices, at least in previous years, there were errors or warnings generates if the specified devices were not found.

If the controller is hooked up and powered, I expect no error regardless of whether a motor is connected or not.
Ah, OK. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure this is still the case... as evidenced by one match at Ryerson where we lost all CAN connectivity due to a connector coming loose. The robot sat dead on the field for the entire match. Later we discovered the console had been freaking out as a result.

"If I'm going to mentor someone, I'm going to be involved in their life as a positive force." -Mechvet

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: