OCCRA
Go to Post God bless the camera. That's all I gotta say. - Bharat Nain [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2018, 09:49 PM
AKA: Brad
#0190 ( Gompei and the Herd)
Team Role: Mentor

BradAMiller has a reputation beyond reputeBradAMiller has a reputation beyond reputeBradAMiller has a reputation beyond reputeBradAMiller has a reputation beyond reputeBradAMiller has a reputation beyond reputeBradAMiller has a reputation beyond reputeBradAMiller has a reputation beyond reputeBradAMiller has a reputation beyond reputeBradAMiller has a reputation beyond reputeBradAMiller has a reputation beyond reputeBradAMiller has a reputation beyond repute
Alpha release of Visual Studio Code for FRC C++ and Java

For the 2019 FRC season, we are moving the primary C++ and Java development environment from Eclipse to Microsoft Visual Studio Code and GradleRIO. We believe there will be many benefits to teams with this move that include simplified development and better integration. Because this is a significant change, we wanted to make an alpha release available for teams to begin learning about the new platform as well as helping us to test it to make the migration as smooth as possible.

The alpha release is open for everyone to try, and will use the existing 2018 core libraries (wpilib, ntcore, cscore, etc.) and existing 2018 vendor libraries (NavX, Phoenix, etc.) so that it will be compatible with your current robot programs. To make it easier to start with 2018 code, the vscode extension can import existing eclipse projects.

This alpha release does not install all the WPILib tools such as Dashboards, Outline Viewer, RobotBuilder, etc. You can get those from WPILib/tools folder from your existing eclipse install.

You can get the alpha release from our GitHub repository here.

There is documentation that describes how to install and use the plugin as well as importing existing projects in ScreenSteps here:
http://wpilib.screenstepslive.com/s/currentCS/m/79833

We encourage you to report any problems or suggestions that you have to the team as issues in the vscode-wpilib repository or quick questions or comments in the WPILib Gitter.

For more information about new features coming with the 2019 release, you can view the "Building and Contributing to WPILib" Championship Conference presentation here.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2018, 10:22 PM
Volunteer, WPILib Contributor
no team (Waiting for 2021)

Rookie Year: 2010
Thad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alpha release of Visual Studio Code for FRC C++ and Java

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradAMiller View Post
Snip
Thanks Brad! We at WPILib have been working overtime to get this out for teams to try. As said, PLEASE send us any issues, feature requests or other general feedback. Its been tested internally, but its very possible there are issues found when more teams try it, and without the feedback we can't fix anything. Since this is an alpha, we are gladly accepting usability and even design feedback. At this point, nothing is locked in stone, so we are happy to accept design ideas. Especially ideas from any HTML developers (We have none on the team, which might become obvious when looking at some of the windows ).

This should be safe to use for offseason events, however it is by default set to online mode (this will not be the case for the season release). If you want to enable offline mode, make sure to do a deploy to the robot, and then run the

WPILib: Set Run Commands in Online Mode

command from the vscode command palette. This will switch deploys to pass the offline flag to gradle.
Co-developer of RobotDotNet, a .NET port of the WPILib.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2018, 10:52 PM
FRC #6829 (Ignite Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2012
BrianAtlanta is just really niceBrianAtlanta is just really niceBrianAtlanta is just really niceBrianAtlanta is just really niceBrianAtlanta is just really nice

I've been waiting for this. Thanks everyone for their work. Time to start reading.

Brian
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2018, 11:47 PM

BrianAtlanta is just really niceBrianAtlanta is just really niceBrianAtlanta is just really niceBrianAtlanta is just really niceBrianAtlanta is just really nice

You know you might have a FRC problem when it's midnight and you're thinking to yourself..."hmmm, should I go to the shop now, and see if I can deploy to the bot?"
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2018, 04:03 PM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

Rookie Year: 2015
gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas in July! Will try to toss this on Lubuntu tonight!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2018, 04:44 PM
AKA: Ronak
FRC #3128 (Aluminum Narwhals)
Team Role: Leadership

SentientBacon is a name known to allSentientBacon is a name known to allSentientBacon is a name known to allSentientBacon is a name known to allSentientBacon is a name known to allSentientBacon is a name known to all

This is pretty cool; I've been playing around with GradleRIO ever since its announcement as the official build system for 2019.

I am curious, though, what the update workflow will be for GradleRIO. I'd assume for the Alpha we manually update the VSCode extension (eventually, updating through the VSCode extension marketplace), but how will updating build.gradle work? The spec used to be updated on the WPILib GradleRIO repository, but ever since the 2019 alpha, the README has been out-of-date. Will there be some way to upgrade the build.gradle with new versions of the WPILib VSCode plugin?

Maybe I'm just paranoid; I am super excited to get started with this quote-unquote official version of GradleRIO, though.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2018, 05:24 PM
http://imjac.in/ta/name
AKA: Jaci R Brunning
FRC #5333 (Can't C#) #5663 (Ground Control) | (OpenRIO, FRC West Aus)

Jaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentientBacon View Post
This is pretty cool; I've been playing around with GradleRIO ever since its announcement as the official build system for 2019.

I am curious, though, what the update workflow will be for GradleRIO. I'd assume for the Alpha we manually update the VSCode extension (eventually, updating through the VSCode extension marketplace), but how will updating build.gradle work? The spec used to be updated on the WPILib GradleRIO repository, but ever since the 2019 alpha, the README has been out-of-date. Will there be some way to upgrade the build.gradle with new versions of the WPILib VSCode plugin?

Maybe I'm just paranoid; I am super excited to get started with this quote-unquote official version of GradleRIO, though.
The README still needs updating, but the update workflow is as follows (for alpha):

You'll need to update your vscode extension, then change the version in build.gradle. We'll communicate this more later when we have an update to give

There's currently no plans to have vscode change the version in the build.gradle, but we might be open to that as a suggestion for something to put on the command palette.

Curtin FRC (5333+5663) : Head Mentor
WPILib : Developer

Website | Github
jaci.brunning@gmail.com
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2018, 05:44 PM
AKA: Ronak
FRC #3128 (Aluminum Narwhals)
Team Role: Leadership

SentientBacon is a name known to allSentientBacon is a name known to allSentientBacon is a name known to allSentientBacon is a name known to allSentientBacon is a name known to allSentientBacon is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaci View Post
The README still needs updating, but the update workflow is as follows (for alpha):

You'll need to update your vscode extension, then change the version in build.gradle. We'll communicate this more later when we have an update to give

There's currently no plans to have vscode change the version in the build.gradle, but we might be open to that as a suggestion for something to put on the command palette.
Thanks! That seems straightforward enough. I was more thinking about how, when switching from the OpenRIO GradleRIO plugin to the WPILIb GradleRIO gradle plugin, the gradle.build changed a bit. If/when this happens again in the future, will this be updated on the README?
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2018, 07:31 PM

Jaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentientBacon View Post
Thanks! That seems straightforward enough. I was more thinking about how, when switching from the OpenRIO GradleRIO plugin to the WPILIb GradleRIO gradle plugin, the gradle.build changed a bit. If/when this happens again in the future, will this be updated on the README?
Yep, it's on my list for when I get back to Perth (I'm across the country for an event at the moment). The format of the file is mostly the same, it's just really the plugin name that has changed (as well as the gradle version, 4.9)

Website | Github
jaci.brunning@gmail.com
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2018, 10:19 PM

Jaci,

I'm working with another mentor on our build process. He has gradle experience, where I haven't at work. Here's what we're working on for our build process, just so you can see how our team will be trying to use it. Working idea, pending first contact with real world.

- Gradle will get version tags from branches and commit id and create a properties file that has tag and commit id. This will displayed on driverstation to prove what code it running.

- Depending on build type, create javadoc documentation (like ReadTheDocs)

- Unit testing (not sure how much, but always trying to do more)

Brian
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAtlanta View Post
Jaci,

I'm working with another mentor on our build process. He has gradle experience, where I haven't at work. Here's what we're working on for our build process, just so you can see how our team will be trying to use it. Working idea, pending first contact with real world.

- Gradle will get version tags from branches and commit id and create a properties file that has tag and commit id. This will displayed on driverstation to prove what code it running.

- Depending on build type, create javadoc documentation (like ReadTheDocs)

- Unit testing (not sure how much, but always trying to do more)

Brian
Hey Brian,

Just for your reference, we're planning to introduce more unit testing support come the beta, since to make it integrate nicely we've needed to make some changes to WPILib as well. As it stands, you can run unit testing with your own shims for main() without much trouble, however full support is coming^TM

Website | Github
jaci.brunning@gmail.com
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2018, 11:06 PM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone with gradle experience and time:

I'm hoping to continue supporting auto-deploying some extra .html/.css/.js files for a webserver we like to run on the RIO. I'm thinking a Gradle SSH plugin will be part of the answer. I'd like it to be such that the files will only be transferred on the actual deploy (along with the other .jar), not the build.

This is the first time I've worked with Gradle. Any pointers? Will using that gradle-ssh plugin work well, or am I already barking up the wrong tree?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2018, 12:00 AM
Volunteer, WPILib Contributor
no team (Waiting for 2021)

Rookie Year: 2010
Thad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerthworm View Post

I'm hoping to continue supporting auto-deploying some extra .html/.css/.js files for a webserver we like to run on the RIO. I'm thinking a Gradle SSH plugin will be part of the answer. I'd like it to be such that the files will only be transferred on the actual deploy (along with the other .jar), not the build.

This is the first time I've worked with Gradle. Any pointers? Will using that gradle-ssh plugin work well, or am I already barking up the wrong tree?
We use SSH internally to do deploys, and I think there is a way we can hook into that (Jaci knows more about that side, I handle the VS Code side of things). If there isn't one currently, or its not easy to use, we will ensure an easy way to do that will be added for the season.
Co-developer of RobotDotNet, a .NET port of the WPILib.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerthworm View Post

Check the spec from EmbeddedTools, it has everything you need (bottom of the readme):
https://github.com/JacisNonsense/EmbeddedTools

For example, if your stuff is in src/main/html, you can send them over with the following in deploy { artifacts { } }:

Code:
fileTreeArtifact('myFileTreeArtifact') {
  files = fileTree(dir: 'src/main/html')
  targets << '<roborio name>'
}
You can then set other properties such as the deploy location and such.

Your target "<roborio name>" should be replaced with whatever your RoboRIO is called in the deploy { targets { } } block, usually just "roborio"

Website | Github
jaci.brunning@gmail.com
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2018, 10:11 AM
FRC #4561

cloudbase1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have tried the install on Mac OSX but it seems VSIX extensions are not supported with VS for Mac. VS for Mac extension files are .mpack files. Is this correct? Will there be an mpack released in Alpha?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: