OCCRA
Go to Post when answering a question you throw out other teams names (thunder chickens and killer bees)...and a distinguished guest raises his hand and asks if he heard right when I said thunder chickens and asks for an explanation of what a thunder chicken is. - Devon27 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute
Defining Competitive in FRC

Just something I've been thinking about as I gear up for the 2019 season with my current team.

As far as on-field performances go - what do you define as "competitive?"

There have been similar threads in the past, but prior to districts, new kitbots, VEXpro and other vendors, etc.

What do you consider "competitive" for your team? (not as a generalization for all FRC teams)

['18-'xx]: Lead Mentor FRC 5686 (formerly FRC 1059)
['17-'17]: Mentor FRC 2170
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Waiting for my Tableau Sponsorship
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Defining Competitive in FRC

After the 2017 season, 4513 agreed that by far DCMP was where the real competition is.

CMP divisions are just bigger district events tbh.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
Brennon kind of hit my question for me. There's ways to define your goals and ways to define what you consider competitive by your standards.

For example, if you don't make elims, but you played each match and executed the strategy you chose pretty well, do you think that's competitive? Or, do you think you achieved your goal but weren't competitive because you did not make elims.
Coming back after class to edit this to better answer the underlying question. When I graduated, The goals were to win an event and go back to worlds. Seeing as how they've managed that and more, id assume their aspirations have only gotten higher.

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018

Last edited by MikLast : 10-09-2018 at 04:17 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 02:40 PM
FRC #6153 (Blue Crew)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2012
TetrisMaster will become famous soon enoughTetrisMaster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLast View Post
After the 2017 season, 4513 agreed that by far DCMP was where the real competition is.

CMP divisions are just bigger district events tbh.
NEDCMP was way more competitive than some districts at worlds. Some of that is because New England has gotten to be so strong recently but it is also due to District champs weeding out some of the lower quality teams.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 02:40 PM
R I P Georgia Dome
FRC #1102 (M'Aiken Magic & Team FUN)

JohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond repute

I think of matches/events as competitive when teams/robots are on a similar level to one another where execution and strategy are more important to determining the outcome of a match/event.

What are your thoughts? I'm not sure what you are trying to gain insight into.
"By teaching students the power of STEM, we're M'Aiken Magic happen!"
2010 FTC World Championship Winner - FTC Team 3864 Driver/Captain
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 02:41 PM
Lead Mentor
AKA: Brennon Brimhall
FRC #6844 (Provotypes)

brennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's a difference between "competitive" and "goals." For example, a goal I have for 6844 is playing in eliminations. For other teams, that might be winning a safety award, an offseason, a DCMP, or entering the Hall of Fame.

In my mind, competitiveness refers to the execution of these goals. From the angle of 6844 - are we broken in matches? Do we execute our strategy well each match? And, more generally - are we making the choices and doing the things that are going to help us reach those goals?

Team 20, 2012-2014: 4 blue banners, 5 medals, and 9 team awards.
Missionary, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2014-2016: Colorado Denver South Mission.
Brigham Young University, 2016-present: Computer Science.
Team 6844, 2018-present: 2018 Utah RAS, 2018 Newton/Carver RHS.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Just something I've been thinking about as I gear up for the 2019 season with my current team.

As far as on-field performances go - what do you define as "competitive?"

There have been similar threads in the past, but prior to districts, new kitbots, VEXpro and other vendors, etc.

What do you consider "competitive" for your team? (not as a generalization for all FRC teams)
For the last couple seasons, we've had a leadership meeting just prior to winter break and build season to define our goals for the upcoming season. In each instance, the student leadership has reaffirmed that competitive success on the field is one of our primary goals for the upcoming build/competition season, and that part of how we should evaluate our success is based on our competition results. Based on that, we set specific standards we want to achieve. In the past two years, one of those standards has been to be a "first round pick" at our district qualifier events, so I guess you can count that as our definition of "competitive."

I also stress to the students that they may chose objectives other than competitive success, and perhaps even to the detriment of competitive success. We could be a team that defines ourself more on technical innovation, student experimentation, aesthetic quality, or unique robot designs. So far the students haven't opted for prioritizing any of those over competitive success, but they did include the mandate that we would be a "high goal team" in 2018.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 02:53 PM
A Loose Screw
AKA: Chris
FTC #5237 (Loose Screws)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2004
Loose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud ofLoose Screw has much to be proud of

I know you said no to go into generalizations, but that's kinda hard when you're talking about a broad of a concept as "competitiveness" is.

For me, being competitive is taking one aspect of your robot to the extreme to get some value that other teams might not even think about.

For example, the white paper on 4 CIM vs 6 Mini-CIM is a great look at how far teams will analyze one part of their robot. For most teams it wouldn't make a difference between the two drive systems, but for top teams it's crazy not to think about it.

Another example would be (IIRC) 254 focusing on their autonomous so much that they changed their wheels because they weren't accurate going a certain direction on the carpet.

This hyper-analysis into one specific area may not lead to success, but that mentality as you design and plan your robot will. Planning every little detail to work together on the robot will make a team competitive. That's why when you plan your robot for next year don't pick a drive train because you think it might work best with the field; pick a drive train that you think will work best with your robot strategy.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFogarty View Post
I think of matches/events as competitive when teams/robots are on a similar level to one another where execution and strategy are more important to determining the outcome of a match/event.

What are your thoughts? I'm not sure what you are trying to gain insight into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennonbrimhall View Post
I think there's a difference between "competitive" and "goals." For example, a goal I have for 6844 is playing in eliminations. For other teams, that might be winning a safety award, an offseason, a DCMP, or entering the Hall of Fame.

In my mind, competitiveness refers to the execution of these goals. From the angle of 6844 - are we broken in matches? Do we execute our strategy well each match? And, more generally - are we making the choices and doing the things that are going to help us reach those goals?
Brennon kind of hit my question for me. There's ways to define your goals and ways to define what you consider competitive by your standards.

For example, if you don't make elims, but you played each match and executed the strategy you chose pretty well, do you think that's competitive? Or, do you think you achieved your goal but weren't competitive because you did not make elims.

['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 03:14 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Competitivene, for me, means going to elims as a first pick or alliance captain. Once you break that barrier consistently, you're in a good position to improve.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 03:15 PM
Ready to STRIKE!
AKA: Rick Blight
FRC #0078 (AIR STRIKE)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Rick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For our team competitive means being able to assist or lead an alliance through the elimination rounds to win the event. It's not one specific thing but lots of details that create a culture within the team.

Some examples:
  • Pit and match scouting
  • Pre & post match checklists
  • Bringing enough batteries to have at least 1 per elimination round match
  • Not being shy about having some #realtalk with an alliance partner
  • Being ready for 6 minute match cycles in elims
  • Drive team members capable of driving the robot and fixing it
  • Eliminate social drama between team members
  • Mentors and students that build relationships with other teams
  • Etc. etc.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 03:34 PM
Learn to crawl before you ball
AKA: Yo! Champ in the making!
FRC #0299 (Valkyrie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

For me, competitiveness is a metric that compares a team to the teams they compete against. I would consider a team competitive if they perform at or above the average level of performance of the teams they're competing with, and that's how I define it for my team.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 03:39 PM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
For me, competitiveness is a metric that compares a team to the teams they compete against. I would consider a team competitive if they perform at or above the average level of performance of the teams they're competing with, and that's how I define it for my team.
What hard metric would you use for a comparison like this? OPR (yes yes not the greatest in all games)?

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 03:41 PM
FRC #3512 (Spartatroniks)

Rookie Year: 2011
Nick.kremer is a splendid one to beholdNick.kremer is a splendid one to beholdNick.kremer is a splendid one to beholdNick.kremer is a splendid one to beholdNick.kremer is a splendid one to beholdNick.kremer is a splendid one to beholdNick.kremer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Competitiveness, for me, means going to elims as a first pick or alliance captain. Once you break that barrier consistently, you're in a good position to improve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
For our team competitive means being able to assist or lead an alliance through the elimination rounds to win the event. It's not one specific thing but lots of details that create a culture within the team.

Some examples:
  • Pit and match scouting
  • Pre & post match checklists
  • Bringing enough batteries to have at least 1 per elimination round match
  • Not being shy about having some #realtalk with an alliance partner
  • Being ready for 6 minute match cycles in elims
  • Drive team members capable of driving the robot and fixing it
  • Eliminate social drama between team members
  • Mentors and students that build relationships with other teams
  • Etc. etc.
Merge these two and that's basically what I was thinking. I would add a few things such as:
  • Reliable autonomous, and all of the hours spent at home and at competition on the practice field that it takes to achieve this.
  • Match strategy.
  • A smart and adaptable drive team who can ditch the for mentioned match strategy in a moment's notice.

Check out Team 3512's Website!

Like us on Facebook!

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 03:58 PM
Founder of COR Robotics
AKA: Ryan Swanson
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
Ginger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond repute

My answer has essentially been different every season based on a few factors including last year's level of success, the amount of student/mentor talent that was lost from the previous year, and the amount of student/mentor talent gained during the new year. Following up from my rookie year in 2013 (winning a regional, winning the state championship, and winning Rookie All Star) the bar was pretty high. Following 2015 where our robot hardly moved, the bar couldn't have been much lower.

For my team I would say that "competitive" has gone from getting selected for the playoffs in most previous years, to being a regional alliance captain this year.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Lead Mentor
AKA: Brennon Brimhall
FRC #6844 (Provotypes)

brennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If I haven't actualized by goal but, in hindsight, I realize that I would still make the same decisions given the information available when I was making those decisions, then I feel successful. Under the definition I provided previously, I was competitive.

If that's not the case - if the choices I was making were "should have known betters" - then I wasn't being competitive under my definition.

Quote:
What hard metric would you use for a comparison like this? OPR (yes yes not the greatest in all games)?
OPR is good, but there's also CCWM, DPR, rank, and match wins. The effectiveness of these metrics also vary on a per-game basis.

That being said, I'm struggling to see the value of taking an abstract concept like competitiveness and setting it equal to "a hard metric." It's fine to identify indicators/things correlated with competitiveness, but equality doesn't work.

Team 20, 2012-2014: 4 blue banners, 5 medals, and 9 team awards.
Missionary, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2014-2016: Colorado Denver South Mission.
Brigham Young University, 2016-present: Computer Science.
Team 6844, 2018-present: 2018 Utah RAS, 2018 Newton/Carver RHS.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: