OCCRA
Go to Post What about "I h8 Autonomous Mode" (for the programmers who actually have to make the robots work)? - Tristan Lall [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2018, 02:53 PM
FRC #0900

FalconWarriorrr has a reputation beyond reputeFalconWarriorrr has a reputation beyond reputeFalconWarriorrr has a reputation beyond reputeFalconWarriorrr has a reputation beyond reputeFalconWarriorrr has a reputation beyond reputeFalconWarriorrr has a reputation beyond reputeFalconWarriorrr has a reputation beyond reputeFalconWarriorrr has a reputation beyond reputeFalconWarriorrr has a reputation beyond reputeFalconWarriorrr has a reputation beyond reputeFalconWarriorrr has a reputation beyond repute
FRC at ROSCon 2018

The Zebracorns are proud to announce our presentation at the 2018 ROSCon. As you may know this past year we succeeeded in running full stack ROS on our robot, and we published the following whitepaper describing how we did it and how you can implement it on your own teams https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/3477
All of our code from that year is available on our github showing how we used ROS in our robot code
https://github.com/FRC900/2018RobotCode

In the early spring of this year we submitted an application to present at this year's ROSCon in Madrid, Spain. Our application was accepted and on September 30th a few current students and alumni of the Zebracorns gave a talk about ROS and FRC to industry professionals. Our talk can be viewed at https://vimeo.com/293294796 and our slides can be viewed at https://roscon.ros.org/2018/presenta...Zebracorns.pdf
You can watch the other presenters talks here https://roscon.ros.org/2018/

We would be happy to answer any questions. Feel free to reach out!

Finally, I would like to thank all of our sponsors for helping us along the way and making all of this possible!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FRC at ROSCon 2018

Iím crazy proud of my students for this. Itís been one hell of a journey and I know itís not over with yet, itís just getting started. Iím glad we were able to attend and made some new friends all over the world in the process.

Especailly The Drop Bears... you all sound like way too much fun.
Clarke's Laws
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2018, 07:08 PM

marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

You all should pay attention to my students and tell them they did awesome. They deserve a hand for traveling to another country and talking about FRC to a room full of industrial roboticists.

ROS isn’t for academics. It’s for industry. Teach the truth.
Clarke's Laws

Last edited by marshall : 10-10-2018 at 07:31 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2018, 07:56 PM
FLL #0900

zrbracrnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mom
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2018, 08:08 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
You all should pay attention to my students and tell them they did awesome.
They did. Your team **nailed** that presentation! I especially liked the Q&A comment that it is OK to implement a good idea before it becomes a requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrbracrnz View Post
Thanks Mom
Good on you for this^, too. I strongly suspect there are more Moms to thank. And some Dads, siblings, aunts and uncles, significant others, etc. Engineers, and particularly those who code, tend to immerse ourselves in projects. We all need to thank the people who sustain us.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2018, 12:16 PM
Programming Mentor
FRC #0027 (RUSH)

Rookie Year: 2011
Clayton Yocom has a spectacular aura aboutClayton Yocom has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Clayton Yocom Send a message via MSN to Clayton Yocom Send a message via Yahoo to Clayton Yocom

Quote:
You all should pay attention to my students and tell them they did awesome. They deserve a hand for traveling to another country and talking about FRC to a room full of industrial roboticists.
Everyone on the presentation team did a great job. I really liked the responses to the Q&A and the whole thing definitely felt like a rather well done conference talk.

Quote:
ROS isn’t for academics. It’s for industry. Teach the truth.
I know this is partially answered in 900's white papers, but can you or your students expand on what ROS brings to a team with maybe only a single programming mentor from non-robotics industry?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2018, 01:09 PM
FRC #6886 (Synthesizers)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2015
BCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud of

Thank you for all the hard work your team is doing. Our students are very interested in attempting to integrate ROS with the Jetson and hopefully within a couple of years we might be able to implement. Please keep us updated on your progress.
2018 Highest Rookie Seed -- Heartland
2018 Highest Rookie Seed -- Greater Kansas City
2018 Highest Rookie Seed -- Galileo Division
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Yocom View Post
I know this is partially answered in 900's white papers, but can you or your students expand on what ROS brings to a team with maybe only a single programming mentor from non-robotics industry?
So I was hoping my students were going to answer this but since they haven't (they're afraid I'm going to say something controversial and bring shame upon my dojo).

So right now, I don't think ROS is a good fit for most teams who can't put in the kind of crazy effort we did to make it all work. We've done our best to publish resources for how we did it but it's still early with a lot of this. In fact, Anja answered a similar question at the end of the talk and said something similar.

That being said, FRC teams re-invent the wheel on programming year after year after year after year. It's sad and frustrating. Wouldn't it be great if we could define the characteristics of our robot and then just tell it "drive here" or "drive over there" or "pick this thing up"? That's what ROS can help provide.

The same ROS package that can control an industrial arm from KUKA can also control an industrial arm from Mitsubishi with wildly different characteristics and that same package can control more accessible educational arms from the likes of Robotis or even DIY robotic arms. That's massively powerful and it's all just editing a few config files to make it work.

We're a ways off from having that from FRC but it's coming and more rapidly than people think. The days of hundred's of team-created programming frameworks with disparate methodologies are going to be behind us before too long. FRC has largely been a hardware driven sport and I think it will continue to be for some time to come but we're quickly getting into where it is going to be software driven as the COTS market gets more and more saturated and manufacturing gets easier, faster, and more accessible and the number of solutions to common FRC problems and documentation for those solutions continues to explode. It's not a coincidence that the CD community complains about the number of pre-season code/CAD releases at the same time that we're seeing teams adopt GrabCAD, OnShape, GitHub, GitLab, etc at a record pace.

If you think I sound crazy... it's because I watched 2 high schoolers and 2 college freshman impress the crap out of a room of 400+ roboticists from around the globe after having flown 4000 miles to do it. You know the hallmark of a good technical talk? When people start pulling out phones to take pictures of the slides. That happened. I was on stage for it. I suspect CTRE is about to get some more business.

So what can you do now? Go learn about ROS. The tutorials on the ROS wiki are an awesome place to start and can at least get you going with driving a turtle around your screen. We don't expect anyone to turn around and use it on their robot this coming season or even the next probably (though who knows, someone might try)... but we do expect to keep pushing for this as we think it is a massive improvement over what we all have now and will enable more sharing and less reinventing of the wheel year after year.

ROS also provides a growth area for students and it makes them instantly employable at the moment. The meme of the conference in just about every presentation except ours was "Yes, we're hiring"... ROS is being adopted by industry at a crazy fast pace and the next mentor that asks me why we "wasted our time on it and that it is just for academics" is going to get an ear full. This is seriously powerful software and it's adoption keeps spreading and growing... Microsoft, Toshiba, Apple, Google, and Amazon were all present and talked to our students about internships, jobs, scholarships, and more... and that's just naming the big ones you've probably heard of.

Not to mention, as FRC moves into the software space, we are going to see a bigger push from vendors into that same space and they aren't all going to be able to work together without an agreed upon format for passing messages between one another. ROS provides a set of standards to do just that and without all the headache that comes from trying to open source all of your code (which, given Digilent's entrance into the FRC motor controller market, we're likely to see a bigger push by vendors to close their source even tighter).

I didn't even get into simulation... NASA is using Gazebo extensively to test out robots in micro-gravity environments... I'm pretty sure it can handle an FRC field.

So yeah, there are a lot of potential benefits to teams who don't have programming mentor resources... I know it's hard to believe right now because it seems inaccessible but our aim is to change that over time. We'll see if we're eventually successful.
Clarke's Laws
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2018, 09:47 AM
Programming Mentor
FRC #0027 (RUSH)

Clayton Yocom has a spectacular aura aboutClayton Yocom has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Clayton Yocom Send a message via MSN to Clayton Yocom Send a message via Yahoo to Clayton Yocom

Quote:
FRC has largely been a hardware driven sport and I think it will continue to be for some time to come but we're quickly getting into where it is going to be software driven as the COTS market gets more and more saturated and manufacturing gets easier, faster, and more accessible and the number of solutions to common FRC problems and documentation for those solutions continues to explode.
I sort of disagree here, I think it is already a software driven sport.
As recently as 2016 you could have a dumb go forward autonomous mode and still get picked and play on einstein.
This year at CMP we had a 2nd round pick that had a 3 cube switch auto and a 3rd round pick that had a 2 cube switch auto.
Its already impossible to get picked at a competitive level without significant software development.

Quote:
So what can you do now? Go learn about ROS. The tutorials on the ROS wiki are an awesome place to start and can at least get you going with driving a turtle around your screen. We don't expect anyone to turn around and use it on their robot this coming season or even the next probably (though who knows, someone might try)... but we do expect to keep pushing for this as we think it is a massive improvement over what we all have now and will enable more sharing and less reinventing of the wheel year after year.
The tutorials I've seen all expect you to be running Ubuntu.
Do these run fine in a virtual machine or do you need to dual boot for optimal results?

Thanks to you and your students to sharing all of this information and focusing on bringing the floor up in FRC.
You inspire us all to contribute more to the community.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2018, 09:54 AM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As recently as 2016 you could have a dumb go forward autonomous mode and still get picked and play on einstein.
This year at CMP we had a 2nd round pick that had a 3 cube switch auto and a 3rd round pick that had a 2 cube switch auto.
Its already impossible to get picked at a competitive level without significant software development.

Do these run fine in a virtual machine or do you need to dual boot for optimal results?

Thanks to you and your students to sharing all of this information and focusing on bringing the floor up in FRC.
They run fine in a VM. The current supported process for 900 students is an Ubuntu VM with a docker container that contains all the cross build tools. Because ROS actually utilizes a fair number of GUI components having a system with X on it works out well. I know of one student that's running docker on their mac natively and that's actually what I do.

We're in the process of cleaning up the docker image so it's properly layered to support upgrading it (currently if we change the image it's a multiple GB download)

But for getting started, you don't need all that and a VM running Ubuntu will work fine. I think there's also prebuilt images for RPis out there that make an even easier getting started path for folks.

(I'll leave the debate for if FRC is software dominated to Marshall, the students should make fun of him appropriately for it and that's amusing)

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Software is eating the world. Some of the largest cab companies doesn't own cabs and the largest hotel company doesn't own hotels (Uber/Lyft and AirBnB for those playing at home).

Quote:

You can 100% run a lot of the basic ROS tutorials from a Ubuntu VM without any issue... in fact our student development environment is docker running inside of a Ubuntu 16.04 VM (typically on VMware Workstation or Fusion). Being that I work for a tiny virtualization company... I have to recommend Workstation or Fusion.

And thank you!
Clarke's Laws
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2018, 12:24 PM
R I P Georgia Dome
FRC #1102 (M'Aiken Magic & Team FUN)

Rookie Year: 2006
JohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond repute

The first time I heard about ROS was back when I was loosely working with a NASA Centennial Challenge rover team and it's what a lot of teams were using for software in that challenge. More recently I've been seeing a lot more chatter about it's growing adoption and I've also seen a vast majority of the job postings in robotics referencing a need for experience with it. I definitely think that in the coming year I'm going to take a look at playing with it some more.

We're at a point where what we choose to run on our robot software wise is fairly fluid. How long would you say it took you to get the basics running using ROS? I plan on reading your papers/presentations later this week I just haven't committed the time for it previously.
"By teaching students the power of STEM, we're M'Aiken Magic happen!"
2010 FTC World Championship Winner - FTC Team 3864 Driver/Captain
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFogarty View Post
We're at a point where what we choose to run on our robot software wise is fairly fluid. How long would you say it took you to get the basics running using ROS? I plan on reading your papers/presentations later this week I just haven't committed the time for it previously.
It took us the season and then some to make it work. Palmetto was a brutal event for us this past year and we did not perform at a level we felt was adequate to say the least. I'm grateful for the multitude of teams that came over to attempt to offer to help us but we were just hitting issues that others couldn't help with. We were on our own due to the nature of using ROS in FRC right now. The resources just don't exist yet.

It took us until DCMP to truly make it work well and even then, we're still adding and tinkering and improving performance now. We'll have another code release before build season and hopefully some forthcoming updates to the official ROS wiki as well.

Trust me, I want more people to use this but walk into it with eyes wide open. This is an unknown area for FRC right now. There be dragons.
Clarke's Laws
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2018, 12:56 PM
It's pronounced Basl with a soft s
AKA: @BaselThe2nd
FRC #3504 (Girls of Steel)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Basel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Microsoft announced (at ROSCon) that ROS is coming to Windows. So it'll get even easier.
Team 3504 | 2018-Present | Grad Student
ďBe excellent in everything you do and the results will just happen.Ē
-Paul Copioli
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2018, 05:29 PM
Programming Mentor
FRC #0027 (RUSH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basel A View Post
Microsoft announced (at ROSCon) that ROS is coming to Windows. So it'll get even easier.
if you look at my profile picture a little closer you'll see that ROS coming to Windows doesn't help

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/972/40...1f948847_k.jpg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: