OCCRA
Go to Post Mentor: You must first learn patience... Student (impatiently): How long is that going to take? - kaszeta [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Never look back, no, never say die
AKA: Always attack with the warrior's cry...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute
True things heard at college.

(edit: this entire thread is made with the utmost of sarcasm in mind. It is a good time. Go to college.)

Alright...with me now being a college student and everything, I figure that it's my duty to warn my fellow Chief Delphites who aren't here yet about the perils of college. I hope that the other college students will help me out with...

TRUE THINGS HEARD AT COLLEGE!

I'll start with two favorites, both heard recently in the hallways of Preston College on the USC campus...

Random student: "DON'T WHACK ME WITH THE SHOE!"

(this second one came just after a fire alarm. Popcorn on the second floor, they tell me. And RTs here at Preston are like RAs elsewhere--just they handle more academicy stuff. And it's a joke...he knew I was on my duff in my room at the time of the fire alarm.)

RT: You pulled the fire alarm!
Me: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! How are you going to prove that?
RT: Manufacture evidence.

C'mon, college students...we've gotta get these high schoolers prepared!

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

114 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.

Last edited by Billfred : 08-28-2004 at 10:03 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-27-2004, 11:19 PM
6 years and counting! :)
AKA: the only fish in FIRST
FRC #0007 (Team 007); FRC #1719 (Umbrella Corp)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Dorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dorienne
Re: True things heard at college.

HAHAHA!
Now I'm scared of college...*frowns*
--Dori

Proud mentor to teams 007 and 1719!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Counting Down to Kickoff
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Eugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm i'm not a college kid but I chill at Purdue
A favorite quote?

"Don't worry professor, it's not a bald spot, it's a solar panel for a sex machine."

Team 461 for life!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2004, 12:33 AM
Greg Needel's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
REVving up for a new season
FRC #2848 (ALLSPARKS)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry bill but it is stuff like that that makes school fun...you will get used to waking up in the middle of the night for fire alarms, random people walking around beating on doors in the middle of the night. College is supposed to be fun and people enjoy things in different ways....just don;t be to judge mental of people and you will be fine

remember this the first time most people have been away from home without a parent figure telling them what to do or have people watching their every move so people are obviously going to have fun .

my recommendation is get off the comp and go have some fun your self..
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Actual, real quote heard while in college:

"You know, if we shoot the flame thrower out of the back of the car while driving down Main Street at 2:00am, we are probably going to get in a lot of trouble..."
"Only if they catch us - and who is going to chase a car with 20-foot flames coming out the back!"
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2004, 11:15 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
KyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant future

Most the things I see or hear on campus (or atleast the one's I remember), I would not be able to repeat here on CD for obvious reasons.

But I agree with Greg, this is the stuff that makes college fun, so go enjoy it while you can because remember "A bad day at college is always better then a good day at work"
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.

Quote:
random people walking around beating on doors in the middle of the night.
Im sorry but if someone walks around doing that Im calling the cops. No one shall stand between me and my sleep. Im in the party pooper dorm and I like it that way.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2004, 12:19 AM
Greg Needel's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
REVving up for a new season
FRC #2848 (ALLSPARKS)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Y.
Im sorry but if someone walks around doing that Im calling the cops. No one shall stand between me and my sleep. Im in the party pooper dorm and I like it that way.

lol...it is more fun to get out of bed and chace them down.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Now at sub 14's in a 5000lb vehicle
AKA: Maher Attallah
FRC #0005 (Robocards)

Rookie Year: 2000
Matt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Attallah Send a message via MSN to Matt Attallah Send a message via Yahoo to Matt Attallah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGilbert45
Most the things I see or hear on campus (or atleast the one's I remember), I would not be able to repeat here on CD for obvious reasons.

But I agree with Greg, this is the stuff that makes college fun, so go enjoy it while you can because remember "A bad day at college is always better then a good day at work"
I'm gonna have to +1 ya on that. When I was away at college, they didn't have dorms so we had to get our own apartments, and I wish I could say 1/2 of what was said during that time...
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.

Quote:

lol...it is more fun to get out of bed and chace them down.
The one thing Im worried about is my dorm being right next to an elevator. Hey if I really wanted to have fun in Boston all I would have to do is hang a Yankees poster out the window (as long as Im not on the first story). Hehehe... I would make all the Red Sox fans irate especially since my dorm is on The Fenway.
Quote:
Actual, real quote heard while in college:

"You know, if we shoot the flame thrower out of the back of the car while driving down Main Street at 2:00am, we are probably going to get in a lot of trouble..."
"Only if they catch us - and who is going to chase a car with 20-foot flames coming out the back!"
You people scare me.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2004, 11:26 AM
falling can be fun
AKA: Heidi Foster
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 2001
MissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond repute

Fraternity jock guy: "So, how have you been?"
Me: "Not too bad, though Murphy's law has been killing me lately."
Fraternity jock guy: "Yeah, I know what you mean, the campus police don't like me either..."

Heidi
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2004, 04:15 PM
AKA: Grant Harding
#0084 (WATTNESS (bot: Chuck))

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to evulish

Heh. That reminds me of the one bad reason to be off-campus. Campus Police - Campus = Police. I've seen way too many flashing lights around my apartment building (They weren't after me, though!)
I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2004, 10:09 AM
#1067 (SLUH)

Frank(Aflak) is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by evulish
Heh. That reminds me of the one bad reason to be off-campus. Campus Police - Campus = Police. I've seen way too many flashing lights around my apartment building (They weren't after me, though!)
"Wow, I didn't expect to see a mob of nekkid people running around for at least a week or so . . . . "

-said by me, watching as a (coed) mob of nekkid folks ran around putting shaving-cream butt-prints on windows (some guys in my dorm got a hose and started spraying the shaving cream off . . . it was funny)

" . . . . on a wednesday?!?!" is another good one.
"Relationships are alot like those little packages of condiments you get at fast food resturants -- they're these little magical things that can last forever on a shelf, but once you open them up, they go bad really fast. I just don't understand condiments."

-- Jim, from "Lily & Jim" by Don Hertzfeldt
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2004, 11:52 AM
AKA: Geoff Sensel
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
gsensel will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to gsensel Send a message via Yahoo to gsensel

I heard this one a few nights ago...
"All right boys its naked time"

Then last night (this isnt reaally a quote but worth mentioning) I'm walking down the hall and these two guys are standing there naked at the sinks washing themselves with washcloths.

Andy Baker used me as a positve example at nationals in 2004!!!!!(Now who is the role model DJ????)

I was looking to start a team for my college for next year, but they got hooked up with a local JR High school doing BEST Robotics competition. Has anyone heard of this?
I was previously on the Technokats from 1998- 2002.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-31-2004, 01:23 PM
rbayer's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Blood, Sweat, and Code
no team (Teamless Orphan)

Rookie Year: 2001
rbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to rbayer

The most important quote I've ever heard (said by my advisor during freshmen orientation while talking about grades): "Remember, D is for Diploma!"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: