OCCRA
Go to Post There is one unbreakable and unwritten law in FIRST, don't make it hard for your alliance partners to play. - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 02:50 PM
FRC #3242 (The Illumicats)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2016
KaylaNilson3242 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Copyright Questions

I don't know if anyone else was wondering with this being such a minor thing, but in the manual there are the little 8-bit robots and what I would assume to be "The Boss." They end each section of the manual and are really cute. I was wondering if they are copyrighted because I would like to use them for button designs and maybe even in t-shirt design. I looked through the papers and it seems like the actual POWERup logo is available but found no information on the other things.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 02:55 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #2040 (DERT)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur
Re: Copyright Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaNilson3242 View Post
I don't know if anyone else was wondering with this being such a minor thing, but in the manual there are the little 8-bit robots and what I would assume to be "The Boss." They end each section of the manual and are really cute. I was wondering if they are copyrighted because I would like to use them for button designs and maybe even in t-shirt design. I looked through the papers and it seems like the actual POWERup logo is available but found no information on the other things.
E-mail FIRST and ask for permission.
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 02:56 PM
No longer old enough to volunteer
AKA: Jared Hasen-Klein
no team (Volunteer, 1836 Alum, and extreme instigator)

Rookie Year: 2009
jaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that unless it is made available on the branding page, you'd have to assume that it is protected. Although, I would contact FIRST because they may be willing to make them available to you.
Dean's List Finalist // The Blue Alliance developer // Los Angeles FLL VOY 2017 // CPP 2022 // *51 FIRST Events and Counting!* // Team 1836: The MilkenKnights Class of 2018

―――
FREE ROBOTICS RESOURCES // Admin of: FB's FIRST ROBOTICS NETWORK // How to: FIRST DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION
―――
"I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary." -Billy Joel
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 03:15 PM
AKA: Sam B
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
baumgartensam will become famous soon enoughbaumgartensam will become famous soon enough

FIRST's "Policy on the Use of FIRSTŪ Trademarks and Copyrighted Materials" covers all copyrighted material related to the game. See policy at:
https://www.firstinspires.org/sites/default/files/uploads/resource_library/UseofUSFIRSTandLEGOGroupTrademarksandCopyrightedMa terials.pdf

The relevant sections are as follows:
Section I, B (1): defines the scope of what copyrights are covered by the attached policy
Section II, 1: defines attribution, and notice requirements for "Currently registered FIRST teams and FIRST participants"
Section III: defines appropriate usage of FIRST intellectual property

According to the policy, you should be in the clear to use the copyrighted material with no notice to FIRST ASSUMING FIRST holds the copyright and is not licensing it; however, it is always safer to contact FIRST for an official stance.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 03:27 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
petercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond reputepetercooperjr has a reputation beyond repute

The bottom of page 2 of the manual has this to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 Game Manual as of Team Update 1
Official FIRSTŪ Robotics Competition teams and Partners are permitted to make reproductions of this manual for team and Partner use only. Any use, reproduction, or duplication of this manual for purposes other than directly by the team or Partner as part of FIRSTŪ Robotics Competition participation is strictly prohibited without specific written permission from FIRST. This manual may not be re-hosted without specific written permission from FIRST.
So, if you're doing more than printing out a couple cute graphics for your team to admire, I'd recommend contacting FIRST to get permission.

(As an aside, I'm neither on a team, nor do I believe that I'm a "Partner"; I'm just a volunteer at events. This seems to be saying that "any use" of the manual by me, as I prepare to be a Referee, is "strictly prohibited". Lawyers say funny things sometimes. Even posting that quote here is "reproduction" or maybe "re-hosting", though I'm sure it falls under Fair Use.)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 03:31 PM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercooperjr View Post
(As an aside, I'm neither on a team, nor do I believe that I'm a "Partner"; I'm just a volunteer at events. This seems to be saying that "any use" of the manual by me, as I prepare to be a Referee, is "strictly prohibited". Lawyers say funny things sometimes. Even posting that quote here is "reproduction" or maybe "re-hosting", though I'm sure it falls under Fair Use.)
That's why you have to keep it subtle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	powerdown.png
Views:	90
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	22865  
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2018, 04:30 PM
FRC #3242 (The Illumicats)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2016
KaylaNilson3242 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the help, we manged to contact FIRST and they answered our question.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: