OCCRA
Go to Post Please don't confuse energetic enthusaism with acting obnoxious. - Alan Anderson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2017, 12:28 PM
FRC #1414 (IHOT Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2015
Jchau is on a distinguished road
Laguna CNC Router Opinions

We are looking for a CNC router primarily for 1/4in Aluminum plate and came across these: https://lagunatools.com/cnc/iq-series/. We would like it to be able to hold tolerances for center to center distances for gears. Does anybody have experience with the Laguna IQ or IQ Pro? Any opinions on them would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Also 299 mentor
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics and Valkyrie Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laguna CNC Router Opinions

Team 8 has a beefier Laguna and last I heard they were quite happy with it. 115 is getting a Laguna very soon (<2 weeks last I heard). They are getting one that costs $12k and looks somewhat beefier.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEpApUx6JeU Looks like it can cut aluminum fairly fast!

Last edited by asid61 : 10-08-2017 at 01:03 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2017, 06:52 PM
FRC #0008

KuszmaulSensei is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are thinking of buying a Laguna product I would suggest you wait until our customer support experience plays out in the next few days. I will report on it within two weeks.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2017, 07:42 PM
Lead Bumper Mentor
AKA: Mike Marandola
FRC #0316 (Lunatecs)

Rookie Year: 2008
Mike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEpApUx6JeU Looks like it can cut aluminum fairly fast!
For a $12k machine the finish looks pretty bad. At 9:29 it looks like the cutter deflects maybe 0.015".

2015 - Pioneer Valley District Finalists/Upper Darby District Finalists/MAR District Championship #1 Seed and Winners with 225 and 203
2014 - Lenape Seneca District Winners/Chestnut Hill District Winners
2013 - Lenape Seneca District Winners/Chestnut Hill District Finalists
2011 - Philadelphia Regional Finalists
2009 - Finger Lakes Regional Finalists

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Also 299 mentor

asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marandola View Post
For a $12k machine the finish looks pretty bad. At 9:29 it looks like the cutter deflects maybe 0.015".
I thought the finish looked bad but that's because he climb mills the first pass and finishes with a climb cut. If you keep watching to here it shows the material after a climb-cut finishing pass. I don't see that much deflection, I mean 0.015" deflection should just snap a carbide bit right?

I don't remember how I forgot, but it's definitely worth mentioning that 115 has waited a few months to get their router due to poor stocking by Laguna. Very frustrating, but they ordered it in early summer so it wasn't an issue for them.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2017, 07:42 AM
FRC #1414 (IHOT Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2015
Jchau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
I thought the finish looked bad but that's because he climb mills the first pass and finishes with a climb cut. If you keep watching to here it shows the material after a climb-cut finishing pass. I don't see that much deflection, I mean 0.015" deflection should just snap a carbide bit right?

I don't remember how I forgot, but it's definitely worth mentioning that 115 has waited a few months to get their router due to poor stocking by Laguna. Very frustrating, but they ordered it in early summer so it wasn't an issue for them.
Thanks everyone for the opinions on the router. A few months seems a bit long for us, considering that the season is starting in about 3 months. Do you know if that was a one-time thing, or should we expect the same if we do decide to order the router?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2017, 11:38 AM
Also 299 mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchau View Post
Thanks everyone for the opinions on the router. A few months seems a bit long for us, considering that the season is starting in about 3 months. Do you know if that was a one-time thing, or should we expect the same if we do decide to order the router?
There was some issue where Laguna got 8 orders for that particular router and had only 5 in stock, or something like that. 115 had already paid but had/has to wait a while before getting one due to the lack of stock. I would contact 115 if you want to know the details.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: