OCCRA
Go to Post Engineering still can't beat Physics! - Manoel [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > FIRST-related Organizations > The Blue Alliance
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:57 PM
is having FRC withdrawal symptoms.
AKA: Steven Bell
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2005
StevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond repute
[TBA]: Automated match parsing

As suggested by Greg Marra, this thread is to discuss a system to automatically parse matches.

I had initially suggested using the match audio to detect the beginning and end of the matches. The reason for this is that the audio is always available, and the audio markers are well-known. Also, the audio has a much low data rate than the video, which theoretically means that it requires less processing. I happen to be taking a class in digital signal processing, so I have a couple ideas of how to actually implement this.

On the other hand, Greg has mentioned a LabVIEW VI in the works which is able to work based on the match progress bar on the bottom of the screen. There is less noise in the video, so it should be somewhat more reliable than audio. However, I have seen instances where the progress bar wasn't shown for the first few seconds of the match. Presumably, a video-based method could also parse the text on the bar and automatically grab the regional code and match number.

Obviously, if we could get some kind of feed from the FMS, that would be even better.

Thoughts or ideas?

2005-2007: Student | Team #1519, Mechanical Mayhem | Milford, NH
2008-2011: Mentor | Team #2359, RoboLobos | Edmond, OK
2011-??: FLL mentor, FRC volunteer, occasional advisor, and ChiefDelphi lurker
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2010, 02:09 PM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [TBA]: Automated match parsing

Video is nice if you always take it straight from the webcast, but some matches don't have the score at the bottom (galileo video had this problem) and others are filmed from afar, so there's merit to implementing both tools for auto-parsing.

Now the real cool thing to do would be to implement both, and use them simultaneously to parse video and line up audio-video mismatches.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2012, 12:53 AM
no team

StevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond repute

I dug up my two-year-old audio parsing code today, and figured I should share it - what better place than the corresponding two-year-old CD thread?

Here it is: http://stanford.edu/~sebell/tmp/findaudiomarkers.zip

The code is a simple script that reads an audio marker and can generate a noisy audio clip with the audio embedded. From there, it uses cross-correlation to locate the marker within the clip. Test data includes a couple clips from a real match, and it appears to work correctly on this data.

It's written in MATLAB, but should run with Octave. Anyone here is welcome to use and extend it. Let me know if you have questions or suggestions!

Last edited by StevenB : 11-07-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Fixed link
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Data wins arguments.
AKA: Phil Lopreiato
no team (The Blue Alliance)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2010
plnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB;1193143Here it is: [URL="http://stanford.edu/~sebell/findaudiomarkers.zip"
http://stanford.edu/~sebell/findaudiomarkers.zip[/url]
This looks great, and it'll make some match clipping I've been procrastinating much easier, but the page 404'd for me...
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM
no team

Fixed the link. Sorry about that.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2012, 07:23 AM
4933T15
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs), FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute

Another lower-tech option would be the following:

I am reasonably certain that the FIRST website currently publishes the actual match start times with minute precision. Assuming timestamped video (if it isn't timestamped, you would need to manually align the start time to a known reference), you can use these start times to split the video (worst case :59 of dead air before the match starts). If there is clock misalignment between the published start time and the video time sync, you would very quickly (once per event) calculate the offset.

You could also use this system in conjunction with an audio/visual classifier so that your algorithm knows which sounds map to which match.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-08-2012, 02:20 PM
AKA: Tyler Pawlaczyk
FRC #0340 (Greater Rochester Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
tp2357 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been working on a java program to work on this as well. I'll post the program and the code here when it's finished

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: