OCCRA
Go to Post "only YOU can stop magic smoke fires" - aJASONt_angles [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 09:27 PM
FRC #3061 (Huskie Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
Adam_P is a jewel in the roughAdam_P is a jewel in the roughAdam_P is a jewel in the rough
Swerve Modules

Hey all,

Designing mounts for the Revolution Pro V2 Swerve Modules and was wondering if it is a good idea to drive the wheel (forwards and backwards) with a CIM Sport. (http://www.andymark.com/CIM-Sport-p/am-cimsport.htm) Last year using these modules our team needed appx a 4:1 gear ratio and this gearbox has that. We weren't sure whether or not it would be a good idea to use this planetary gearbox to drive our wheels as opposed to a ratio that could be achieved with gears/sprockets. Have any teams done something like this successfully?

Also: I need to attach an encoder to the CIM motor, are there any good ways to do so?

Thanks

team3061.org
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swerve Modules

I don't anybody has used the Sport yet, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for this. I would, however, caution you against using this in-season if you don't get it done by January. A gear reduction might be easier and cheaper.
The AMT-102 Munchskull CIMcoder (not the Andymark version) is a good encoder, but you'll get some backlash due to having it on the CIM instead of closer to the wheel. an SRX Mag Encoder works really well if you have a Talon SRX to read it with.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 09:47 PM
AKA: Clayton
FRC #0100 (WildHats)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2015
ClayTownR is just really niceClayTownR is just really niceClayTownR is just really niceClayTownR is just really nice

When I have a gear ratio that close, I try to see if I can manually handle it :
  • Perhaps belts would let you get a smaller driving size on the CIM (Side bonus, this reduces weight!).
  • I know the pivot part is OTS, but can you switch the gears for a slightly larger ratio?

The CIM Sport (and planetary gearboxes in general) looks pretty beefy, I think it should handle it. Disclaimer: I haven't used it.

If you want an encoder on what you've got now, you'll need to add something on the opposite side of a shaft. See what Vexpro does.
Alternatively, you could use a Vex VersaPlanetary instead of a Sport. Those can have integrated encoders on them.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 09:58 PM
FRC #0900 (♞Zebracorns♞)

Rookie Year: 2016
Big-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond repute

Last year we used a very similar drive to this one, also based on the Revolution Pro 2.

We used a 14:50 reduction with an idle gear to achieve proper spacing.
As for encoders, I second Anand's remarks on the SRX Encoder. We used it last year with talon SRXs and had few issues with them.

To mount the encoders, we used these and placed them on plates above the gears.

As to a gearbox, I know teams that have had success with it, but the CIM sports are completely new, so I would be wary using them this year for such an important system as drive is. We used Versaplanetaries for our turning motors, which worked well, but I would suggest just using gears for the drive reduction if you can.

We found that for our versaframe chassis, mounting the motors and module on 2 plates worked well, without the need for brackets.

(images)

2017 NC District Championship Winner
2017 NC District Raleigh Event Chairman's Award
"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable." - Angus MacGyver

Last edited by Big-b : 12-06-2017 at 10:04 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Discerning and exacting individual
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-b View Post
Last year we used a very similar drive to this one, also based on the Revolution Pro 2.
What he said...
Clarke's Laws
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 10:38 PM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

CIMs at 4:1 are rather fast (low torque) for most FRC games. Be sure to consider how fast your robot can accelerate at least as much as how fast it can go once it reaches maximum speed. The only year team 3946 decided to gear our drive CIMs less than 8:1, it was a drastic mistake. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to use a planetary stage to power a later reductoin!

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 12-06-2017 at 10:42 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2017, 11:10 PM
FRC #0900 (♞Zebracorns♞)

Rookie Year: 2016
Big-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
CIMs at 4:1 are rather fast (low torque) for most FRC games.
The Revolution Pro swerve module has its own reduction, IIRC it is 30:48, and it uses the 3.25" versawheel.

with the 14:50 reduction we used last year it was ~13ft/s free, and with a 4:1 as the first stage, it would be ~11.8ft/s free.

2017 NC District Championship Winner
2017 NC District Raleigh Event Chairman's Award
"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable." - Angus MacGyver

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: