Go to Post Please search before you post (it's fun and free!) - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2008, 01:11 PM
TCU Bound (Class of 2013)
AKA: Sean
FRC #2920
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Spartan151 will become famous soon enough
cRIO: Traditional or LabVIEW?

Hey guys. I've been following this stuff about the new control system and I have a couple questions, mainly pertaining to the programming aspects of it. Now, I may have overlooked something simple in reading about the document, but here's what I would like to know.
Since our team is small, and lost our chief programmer to graduation, is it still possible to use MPLab in any way (Mainly, I mean the C programming codes of old.)?

Or will we have to learn to use labVIEW, which none of us know how to use?

A subquestion of the one above: what is the best way to learn how to operate labVIEW?

(I'm having to reteach myself the old C+ codes that we used last year to get a hold on the concept so i can teach it to the new programmers, but I don't want to go too far and then have to dramatically shift gears)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute
Re: cRIO: Traditional or LabVIEW?

You could conceivably use mpLab as you Development Environment but the code would basically be useless. The new controller will either use C++ OR Labview. Now, C and C++ are very similar but I doubt any old code will work.

Onward and Forward, the quickest and possibly easiest way to learn labview is to play with it. It is available from the FIRST website. NI has many tutorials out specifically for FRC teams to learn.

Now if you wanted to use C++ the best thing to do NOW would be start learning it.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2008, 01:58 PM
CaMOElot, it is a silly place
AKA: My First Name is really "The" (or Brian)
FRC #0365 (The Miracle Workerz); FRC#1495 (AGR); FRC#4342 (Demon)

Rookie Year: 2001
The Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to The Lucas

Preparing for this year in programming is particularly difficult since with the exception of the Beta Test teams, no one has access to or experience with the FIRST Libraries/VIs. In the 04 change from PBASIC to C teams were given a special EduBot controller to practice. Once the testing is done, we should all get the libraries and a cRIO (if pay for shipping) shortly before the season.

Until then at MOEU we have the students practicing with both LV and C++. For C++, we are using Eclipse with MinGW toolchain. I am thinking about making dummy classes to resemble the new WPILib and having the students practice with them. For classes methods that get an input I am thinking about reading from a file or calculating based on past output. Then just print out output methods.

MPLAB is not very useful IMHO now (and never was a great IDE). I recommend you:
  • Download Eclipse for C/C++ since this year's IDE WindRiver Workbench uses an Eclipse plugin (from my understanding).
  • Download MinGW if you use Windows so you can complile your programs. Both are open source free programs.
  • Look through the WPILib Documentation to get a sense of how to use it.
  • Also download free FIRST Labview 8.5.1 and get a feel for it
Electrical & Programming Mentor ---Team #365 "The Miracle Workerz"
Programming Mentor ---Team #4342 "Demon Robotics"
Founding Mentor --- Team #1495 Avon Grove High School
2007 CMP Chairman's Award - Thanks to all MOE members (and others) past and present who made it a reality.
Robot Inspector
"I don't think I'm ever more ''aware'' than I am right after I burn my thumb with a soldering iron"
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Engineer
FRC #0716 (Who'sCTEKS)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Andy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond repute

I attended a workshop hosted by WPI on the use of C++ last month. The good news is that it isn't as scary as you might think. I also have a team without strong programming skills, I will have to learn this system and teach to my students and I am not that strong in programming.

The basic package will have a step by step with screen shots for the set up. The classes as shown on wpi's doxygen page form the basic structure. Code will still go in autonomous and tele sections. We were told that you will be able to run a robot out-of-the-box with the default code. I asked!

I am hoping that someone will start posting C++ sample code so that those of us that are not using labview will see what to expect
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Software Engineer
AKA: Roger Smith
FRC #3357 (COMETS)

Rookie Year: 2007
rogerlsmith is a splendid one to beholdrogerlsmith is a splendid one to beholdrogerlsmith is a splendid one to beholdrogerlsmith is a splendid one to beholdrogerlsmith is a splendid one to beholdrogerlsmith is a splendid one to beholdrogerlsmith is a splendid one to behold

If you go to the Wind River site you can download a trial version here.
This is a special version of Eclipse with all the necessary goodies. I don't think you'll need MinGW. I installed this version and it was completely painless. I'm very excited about getting started with Wind River.

To be fair, I also downloaded LabVIEW. I'm not sure if I like the idea of programming this way, I'm a little "old-school" you might say. Never-the-less I hope to get a good understanding of it before we get too involved this year. I plan to give our team the opportunity to try both environments.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Share FIRST videos, photos and experiences at FIRSTObjective.org
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-23-2008, 04:08 PM
#0103 (Cybersonics)

dbeck103 is a name known to alldbeck103 is a name known to alldbeck103 is a name known to alldbeck103 is a name known to alldbeck103 is a name known to alldbeck103 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to dbeck103

One of the purposes of the beta teams was to help develop default code that all teams could use to at least have a functional robot. We are working hard t o make that happen. We have been able to make everything on last years bot run with Labview.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Friends of Waialua Robotics, Inc.
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

Dave,
Thanks.
Not being in the loop as a non-beta team has got the rest of us all ancy waiting to get our hands on the control system (late November I guess).

-Glenn

2018 Canadian Rockies Regional Champions, #1 seed
2018 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, Quality Award
2018 Festival de Robotique-Montreal Regional Champions, #1 seed, Industrial Design Award
2017 World Championship Woodie Flowers Award Winner
2017 World Championship Darwin Division Finalist Award
2017 Greater Pittsburgh Regional Champions, #1 seed, Safety Award, Entrepreneurship Award
2017 Palmetto Regional Champions, #2 seed, Safety Award
2016 Hawaii Regional #1 seed, IDesign, Safety Award
2016 NY Tech Valley Regional Champions, #1 seed, Innovation in Controls Award
2016 Lake Superior Regional Champions, #1 seed, Quality Award, Dean's List
2015 FRC Worlds-Carver Division Champions
2015 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed.
2015 Australia Regional Champions, #2 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2015 Inland Empire Regional Champions, #1 seed, Industrial Design Award
2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: