OCCRA
Go to Post You will find friends among all FIRST students who will become very good friends of yours, will care and help you with anything that you need help with. This is my personal opinion, If you are hooked, dont ever let it go. - Arefin Bari [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Here comes StuyPulse
AKA: Joe Blay
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2006
jblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New District Events for 2013?

I wonder if after all the regions are put into districts there will be any regionals at all or if teams will only be able to interact across regions at the championship. It would be cool to have a regional in each region kept so that this won't happen this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artdutra04 View Post
Better name: New England Robotics District.
That's just awesome. If they don't call it that, I will be upset.
2018 Hudson Valley Finalists
2017 New York City Finalists
2017 South Florida Chairman's
2016 Curie Champions
2016 New York City Champions
2016 New York City Engineering Inspiration
2015 New York City Finalists
2013 New York City Champions
2012 Connecticut Chairman's
2011 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 Connecticut Chairman's

2010 New York City Champions
2008 New York City Engineering Inspiration
2007 New York City Finalists
2006 New York City Finalists
2005 New York City Chairman's
2003 New York City Champions
2002 New York City Engineering Inspiration
2001 New York City Finalists
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:45 PM
The Owen Day of Seattle
AKA: Jim Wright
FRC #4542 (Titanium Talons)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
JimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to beholdJimWright949 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodar View Post
When people along the US/Canada border are talking districts I kind of think you have to include the Canadian teams across the border in with them because if the Ontario and Toronto areas go to districts it leaves the other half of Cananda S.O.L.
The NW area would pickup British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan right now there are only 2 teams in those provinces.
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Andrew Lynch
FRC #2587 (DiscoBots)

Rookie Year: 2001
lynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Sigley View Post
With this week being the Michigan and Mid-Atlantic Championships, I figure it's as good a time as any to ask.
What if any new District models do you think will be adopted for next year?
California?
Texas?
From a Texas perspective, teams are too spread out to really get the benefits of a district model. For example, teams from El Paso would still have to travel 8 hours to get to an event in San Antonio.

I think Texas is still a couple years away from really seeing the benefits of a District model.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Racer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodar View Post
When people along the US/Canada border are talking districts I kind of think you have to include the Canadian teams across the border in with them because if the Ontario and Toronto areas go to districts it leaves the other half of Cananda S.O.L.
Not really, at least not if I'm understanding you correctly.

Currently two active (3 total) teams (4334, 1482, [1346]) exist west of Ontario.

They could easily be lumped into a PNW/Midwest region.

The rest of Canada (Ontario and Quebec, plus one team from NS [4147]) is fairly concentrated.

We have 4 regionals right now, and a high percentage of Canadian teams went to 2 or 3 of them this year, and some teams (772, 1241, 188, 781, 610, and more) went south of the border for a regional at least once this season.

We have enough density to make a district model work without help from south of the border.
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 02:00 PM
FRC #1251 (Tech Tigers)

Rookie Year: 2007
dodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1075guy View Post
Not really, at least not if I'm understanding you correctly.

Currently two active (3 total) teams (4334, 1482, [1346]) exist west of Ontario.

They could easily be lumped into a PNW/Midwest region.

The rest of Canada (Ontario and Quebec, plus one team from NS [4147]) is fairly concentrated.

We have 4 regionals right now, and a high percentage of Canadian teams went to 2 or 3 of them this year, and some teams (772, 1241, 188, 781, 610, and more) went south of the border for a regional at least once this season.

We have enough density to make a district model work without help from south of the border.
Oh, I always thought I heard people saying there was like 20-30 teams in the western half of Canada

Mechanical Engineering - UCF(Class of 2016)
Mechanical Engineer - Sonny's Enterprises
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfoss View Post
Word on the street is that New England (CT, RI, VT, NH, MA, ME) has been and is looking to go to districts; but at this point I believe the earliest we'll see it would be 2014. I propose the name FiNE (FIRST in New England).

It's actually fairly surprising to me that the NE area has not gone to districts sooner, as the team density in the area and travel distances make a ton of sense.
I've heard the reason it won't happen sooner has to do with contracts for the venues that were signed as multi-year as well as not having the venues for the districts nailed down, but don't hold me to that it's second or third hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Streeter View Post
FiNE:
Given that there'd be about 8 districts (146 teams * 2 events/team / 40 teams/event), I would see there being one in SoMaine (Portland <-> Portsmouth), one in "NoNH" (Lebanon <-> Concord), one in SoNH (Nashua <-> Manchester), one in the Boston area, one in the Worcester area, one in the Springfield area, one in the Hartford area, and one in the Bridgeport area. I'm guessing the FiNE championship would host about 50 teams in the Boston <-> Worcester area.
When I was considering this I came up with similar districts and suggested locations.
New Haven (Yale)
Springfield (WNEC)
Eastern CT (Norwich area)
Worcester (WPI)
Boston (BU)
Nashua
Concord
Portland

District Championship would rotate between Manchester, Hartford and Worcester or just be in Worcester based on it's central location.

With New England having 5 regionals planned for next year (NH, CT, Boston, WPI, Maine) it will be interesting to see how many slots are allocated to the region.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
O-H
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Olds View Post
Perhaps there will be many districts by 2014-2015..............
Ohio - either join with Illinois/Indiana, or go with Western PA/WV/Western NY.

Lots of space to roam out here in the Midwest - don't see how you're going to do a densely-populated district model out here yonder, especially at the current team densities. To get enough teams, you have to add a ton of land mass, and that defeats the whole purpose of the districts. Cheap event fees don't mean much if you're paying for long-distance travel!

Travis Hoffman - Enginerd - FRC Team E.L.I.T.E. 48
Encouraging Learning in Technology and Engineering - www.delphielite.com
NEOFRA - Northeast Ohio FIRST Robotics Alliance - www.neofra.com

Last edited by Travis Hoffman : 04-12-2012 at 03:40 PM.
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Ardent Supporter
AKA: Mr. Aaron Bailey
FRC #1986 (Team TITANium)

Alpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond repute

I know somebody has done this out there, but would love to see it again...

Does anyone have a google map prepared with team locations and regionals already mapped.

As new districts are created it makes sense to consider what parts of the country are being left out. Is it possible to divide North America completely into districts and then permit a couple of international regionals in New York LA, and Israel for our overseas & South American members to participate in?

What areas of the country need to build up a volunteer base for this to work? It is my understanding that the transition to a district system is very grass roots driven, not top down from headquarters.

Kansas City has one of the largesr regionals in the country at 64 teams, with some being turned away due to space constraints. I would love to be part of a district system, and am anxious to hear ideas on how our less densly populated area would make this work.
Dean's List Finalists: 2018(Justice W), 2016(Jacob S), 2014(Cameron L), 2013(Jay U), 2012(Laura S), 2011(Dominic A), 2010(Collin R)
Woodie Flowers Finalist 2018 (Nancy Spatz), 2013 (Aaron Bailey)
Championships: Einstein Finalist (2017), Sub-Division Champion (2017, 2016), Finalist (2013, 2010), Semifinalist (2014), Quaterfinalist (2018, 2015, 2012, 2011)
Other Official Awards: Gracious Professionalism (2013) Entrepreneurship (2017, 2013), Quality (2017, 2015, 2015, 2013), Engineering Excellence (Champs 2013, 2012), Website (2011), Industrial Design (Curie/Darwin 2017, Archimedes/Tesla 2016, 2016, 2015, Newton 2014, 2013, 2011), Innovation in Control (2018, 2014, Champs 2010, 2010, 2008, 2008), Imagery (2009), Safety(2017), Regional Finalist (2017, 2016, 2015, 2008)
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:40 PM
What's next?
AKA: James Temple
FRC #5254 (HYPE)(EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2008
AcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond reputeAcesJames has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AcesJames Send a message via MSN to AcesJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Matteson View Post
I've heard the reason it won't happen sooner has to do with contracts for the venues that were signed as multi-year as well as not having the venues for the districts nailed down, but don't hold me to that it's second or third hand.
Sue Glasspeigel told myself and Foss last November at our FLL event that the regional directors in the New England area are planning to implement the district system around 2014.

One of the main reasons she gave for waiting until then, other than venue contracts, was that they wanted the teams of New England to be "ready" to move to the district system. She and others don't want to simply change the system overnight. From what I can tell, the people planning the transition are putting a lot of forethought into it.
FRC 176 - 2009-2012
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:03 PM
rookies rock part 2
AKA: Brian Smist
FRC #6870 (BEAM Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2009
briansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond reputebriansmist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Hoffman View Post
Ohio - either join with Illinois/Indiana, or go with Western PA/WV/Western NY.

Lots of space to roam out here in the Midwest - don't see how you're going to do a densely-populated district model out here yonder, especially at the current team densities. To get enough teams, you have to add a ton of land mass, and that defeats the whole purpose of the districts. Cheap event fees don't mean much if you're paying for long-distance travel!
Agreed, WNY, Western PA and Ohio doesn't seem like too much of a stretch for me, as many of the FLR teams already make the trek down to Pitt or Buckeye.

Development Engineer at PostProcess Technologies
University at Buffalo Mechanical Engineering Class of 2016
2018-20XX | Mentor | 6870 | Beam Robotics
2014-20XX | Mentor | 4930 | Electric Mayhem
2013-2013 | Mentor | 0229 | Division by Zero
2009-2012 | Student | 1507 | Warlocks
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:40 PM
TBC Trash Belt Expert
no team

P.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Northwest (meaning Oregon/Washington) is a very likely candidate to go to a district system soon. I've seen a couple people from high profile teams out in that area snooping around MI this year, but that isn't necessarily an indication of anything.

I am also a fan of a combined Hawaii/California region, and have heard rumors of a combined Wisconsin/Minnesota region and a combined Indiana/Illinois region.

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but I figure I might as well throw out the idea of Israel going to a district system.

Now regarding Canada, I could see them going to their own region, but probably only under one condition, an option which I've been a supporter of since Day 1 (And I'm in MI so thats a long time ago ), and that is Cross-Region travel.

What is to stop a team from say, Michigan going to a MAR district and earning points that qualify towards the FiM state championship? As long as you still play the same 12 matches as everyone else, the points you earn should be the same, its just they count towards your own Regional Championship. I just think there shouldn't be a problem with crossover like this once (theoretically) all of FIRST goes to the district system.
Team 910-The Foley Freeze -- Student 2007-2010, Mentor 2012-2017
Referee at 45 Regular Season Events, 3 World Championships, 31 Off Season Events, and Counting
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:52 PM
All I do is twin.
AKA: elixir
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)
Team Role: College Student

Alexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alexa Stott

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemknight View Post
I've also heard rumblings about MD/DC/VA going to the district model. The three regionals are less than 3 hours apart (Richmond to Baltimore).
A DMV district event makes sense to me too. I hope they get something within the next few years (though I'll be long gone from the area by then).
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:54 PM
All I do is twin.
AKA: elixir
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Alexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alexa Stott

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampRobot View Post
Although it seems to be against what others are saying on this thread, I for one don't really want a district system for California. It seems to me like it would just make it a lot harder to get to Championships, and make us miss a lot more days of school (two/three district events, district champs, and then real Championships).

Personally, I really like they way things are now.
MAR district events are all Saturday-Sunday so kids miss no school here...

Edit: Sorry for the double post, guys!
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:02 PM
TBC Trash Belt Expert
no team

P.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond reputeP.J. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampRobot View Post
Although it seems to be against what others are saying on this thread, I for one don't really want a district system for California. It seems to me like it would just make it a lot harder to get to Championships, and make us miss a lot more days of school (two/three district events, district champs, and then real Championships).
Emphasis mine.

I'm not gonna go into the whole speech here, it's been done in lots of other places, but a District system actually makes it EASIER to get to Champs, because it isn't just the winners of the regionals, its the top 18 (or whatever) teams in the state by points.

And sorry for posting twice so soon after each other, but I didn't read through this whole thread before I threw in my first comment.
Team 910-The Foley Freeze -- Student 2007-2010, Mentor 2012-2017
Referee at 45 Regular Season Events, 3 World Championships, 31 Off Season Events, and Counting
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:35 PM
FRC RI/FLL Field Manager
AKA: Max Vrany
FRC #1306 (BadgerBOTS)

Rookie Year: 2011
cgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond repute

Aargh, If there's a district event in Madison, we'd have to host it. Hosting Lego League is bad enough...

2016 FIRST Championship Tesla Division | 2016 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award

2015 FIRST Championship Carson Division | 2015 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2013 FIRST Championship Curie Division | 2013 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2012 FIRST Championship Archimedes Division | 2012 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, Woodie Flowers Finalist Award (Lead Mentor Ben Senson)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: